Skip to main content

Seen a few answers for this but i’d like one from Sonos.

When will Trueplay be available & work on an iPhone Se 2 ?

I have tried setting this up with an older iPhone 8 still would n’t happen.

I have the latest version of the app & all software.

Trueplay is already supported on all iPhone SE models. I use my iPhone SE (2nd Generation) to run Trueplay on my Sonos devices.

The only iPhone models that aren’t currently supported are the iPhone 14 models:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/trueplay-compatible-devices-and-sonos-products

I reckon the Beam 2nd Gen I have is the problem. I’ve tried my SE 2, an iPhone 8 & 11. None of these phones display Trueplay in the app settings. 

Yes my Wife has an SE (2nd Gen) and Trueplay works here too. Maybe take it out it’s case/cover (if relevant) and check mic aperture for any blockages.

Trueplay doesn’t appear in the system settings. I have the latest software on the iPhone & the latest Sonos app in the phone 

I reckon the Beam 2nd Gen I have is the problem. I’ve tried my SE 2, an iPhone 8 & 11. None of these phones display Trueplay in the app settings. 

It should at least show the Trueplay option on any/every iOS device, even if it’s not enabled, or even if the iOS device is not able to Trueplay the room?

edit: Are you perhaps not looking in the correct area of the App?
‘Settings/System//Beam Room Name]/Trueplay’ …and select/click ‘Trueplay Tuning’.

All I have for sound settings are eq, height audio & volume limit. No sign of Trueplay anywhere?

Can’t say I’ve ever come across that with a compatible iOS controller - what is the version of iOS on the phone itself? Does the phone meet the controller requirements shown here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-requirements

@Geoff888

If the App requirements are met, maybe try an App reset - ‘Settings/App Preferences’ and on reopening the App, connect it back to the ‘existing’ Sonos system (do not create a new system) and see if that perhaps resolves your issue.

iPhone running iOS 16.1.1

sonos app version 14.1

iPhone running iOS 16.1.1

sonos app version 14.1

I think our posts crossed. Maybe try an App reset and see if that sorts it.

I just updated the app to 14.1. 
It’s odd that the Trueplay function has not appeared on 3 different compatible iPhones all running latest app’s & iOS software. 
For some reason I think it’s the Beam 2.

Did the app reset. Still no Trueplay option.

It sounds way better than the tv speakers as is, so I guess it stays as is ?

I just updated the app to 14.1. 
It’s odd that the Trueplay function has not appeared on 3 different compatible iPhones all running latest app’s & iOS software. 
For some reason I think it’s the Beam 2

If you have VPN, or any other security software running on the iphone, then perhaps switch that off.

If a reboot of the speaker doesn’t sort it after that, then I would maybe submit a diagnostic report and perhaps a screen-capture too of what you’re seeing in the App …and chat to Sonos Support Staff using this LINK

Hope you get it sorted. 👍

Most odd: Trueplay is greyed out on my XR, though I was able to use it (and did) when I updated to 14.18 a while back. I’m still on 14.19 though I see there’s another update available. 

It doesn’t even appear in the app

It’s strange indeed - I too have iPhone XR running iOS 16.1.1 and that’s working with Trueplay here - I just quickly tuned one of my speakers. See (merged) screen-captures images attached. So not sure why it’s working for some and not others.

Bit strange that it doesn’t appear as an option in the app. No matter how many times I delete & re install it. At least this topic has proven it will work with my phone 

I’ve just (politely) grabbed the iPhone SE from my Wife’s handbag (she thinks I’m checking up on her after 40 years of marriage ..ha ha 😀) Anyhow her iPhone model is MHGP3B/A - if that may count for anything and it too is running iOS 16.1.1

I can see Trueplay in the controller App on that phone.

Sonos support have suggested I call the phone line where they can have a remote look at the controller in my phone. At least I have proof that my iPhone will work with Trueplay.

Thanks for your time Ken 

Hope you get it sorted.. 👍

The question I should be asking is does your Beam 2nd Gen sound better with Trueplay enabled ? If there’s little difference I won’t bother.

Yes, I have the Beam (gen2) in the Dining Room with a Sonos Sub and two Ones and I prefer that setup Trueplay tuned, as it brings clarity to the overall sound, both TV and Music - without it I find the audio slightly fuzzy (for want of a better description here). The Bass is warmer and more rounded, rather than thumpy. The overall sound is better ‘balanced’ in the room too. So I prefer it for those reasons.

After tuning, I also like the treble pushed up two notches aswell in the EQ settings, but that’s perhaps an ‘age thing’ on my part. 

I would, at the very least, Trueplay tune your Beam room and see what you think, as you can always toggle it off if you don’t like the result.

I’ve worked this out.

I deleted the Sonos app then did a factory reset on the Beam. You do this by removing the power cord from the Beam, then press & hold the reset button next to the connection ports at the same insert the power cord. Hold the reset button until the light on the Beam is orange. Now follow the instructions on the app to set up . Trueplay now appears in the app system sound settings.

Hopefully this will help others who purchase a used Beam.

@Geoff888,

Thanks for coming back and posting the solution. Glad to hear it’s sorted - and just to add, the ‘last resort’ steps for the ‘factory reset’ of a Sonos product is also shown in the link HERE.