Skip to main content

Maybe one day these will be fixed ? 

Every time the PC is restarted this is logged

Event 0 SonosLibraryService - Service cannot be started. The handle is invalid

Every time the Windows app is closed this is logged

Event 1000 Application Error - Faulting application name: Sonos.exe - Exception code: 0xc0020001

I have never seen these in 10 years of using Sonos. I suggest you contact Sonos Support to see if they can help you resolve these local issues.

Every time the PC is restarted this is logged

Event 0 SonosLibraryService - Service cannot be started. The handle is invalid

This one is normal, if there are no files on the PC which are being served to Sonos.

In fact there’s a race condition: the service starts, finds there’s nothing to do, then stops before the service manager is able to check that it actually started.

The Sonos app ought to do better than log a SonosLibraryService Error event on every restart (its ok on resume though) - at worst it ought to be at Warning level. The NAS is likely sleeping so this is probably a common situation. If the library was found to be missing when starting the app to actually play something then an error message might be appropriate then.

Only the Sonos app logs an Error on every close  - Ive had this issue across many app versions and W10 and W11. Maybe one day someone will reply with some helpful advice.

The Sonos controller doesn’t have anything to do with the Sonos Library Service, though they are installed at the same time. It’s a service, started by Windows at boot time. The error message is from the Windows service manager. Since your music is on a NAS not on the PC the service has nothing to do. As I say, it seems to be a race condition. The service evidently shuts down immediately and the Windows service manager gets wrong-footed. Ignore it.

As for the crash on closing the controller that’s an entirely different matter. It can throw a .NET error. Sonos knows about it and doubtless has it on their list to fix, though it’s possibly a low priority item. I’ll admit that I long ago gave up obsessing about having a ‘clean’ Windows event log. 

It may happen only when there’s no local music files but its still a situation not being handled gracefully. It happens each time the service is manually restarted, so if it is a race condition then that’s still what a developer should treat as a bug. Other services that routinely stop dont log an Error event. Its installed with the controller so it is part of the controller installation.

The Error event when the controller closes might be invisible to users who never check the event log or reliability history report but every Event 1000 does count towards that. 

Disappointing to see support for ignoring any long term errors that dont bother everyone.

I may have been incorrect. The service error’s source is “SonosLibraryService”. Given that the message is “Service cannot be started. The handle is invalid” it could simply be that there’s no file system handle provided to locate local music files, as it’s not being asked to serve any.