Skip to main content

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Sept 19, 2024. See release notes.

This update will be rolled out for iOS and Android separately.

iOS - (Available starting today)
Version 80.09.05

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Improved performance when browsing content in Home and in Browse
  • Improved queue management including ability to delete, reorder and scroll
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Continued improvements to the user interface
  • Added Trueplay support for iOS 18

Note: This iOS update will be deployed in phases over the coming days. Please allow until Tuesday to receive via automatic updates. If you add a player to your system, you’ll be prompted to update during setup. If you’d like to get the update sooner, go to the App Store, locate the Sonos app, and tap the Update button. 

Android - (Scheduled for September 24

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Added setting to change the Alexa wake word language

You can also follow along with updates in this article: 

Haven’t read all 85 pages….My music library, once accessible, now not for 4+ months. Have spent hours on the phone with both Sonos folks and Apple techs to no avail. 8000 songs on my Mac laptop purchased via original cds then downloaded plus iTunes songs purchased individually not selectable/playable. My playlists still exist but now have a ‘.m4a’ extension on every song resulting in ‘unable to play…..’, not there before the May software debacle. I just want access to my music that I purchased, downloaded and had access to for years , that worked seamlessly pre-May. Furious.

m4a is the Apple Lossless file format, which I’m guessing is what you chose when you ripped your music to your Mac? You usually only see the name like that in Sonos when things have gone wrong, as they obviously have for you here. 

You *should* be able to share your music folder from your Mac and access it as a network share. Do NOT select either of the first two options in the Mac App for adding a music library folder. They are broken and will never work again. Quite why Sonos continue to confuse people by lazily leaving broken wizards in the app only they can explain.

We had a power outage a couple days ago; after which nothing worked in the Sonos app and phonos+ wasn’t able to help.

I decided to take the plunge and download the latest app update, then update the system when prompted in the app. 

At long last Sonos playlists display and will play in the Sonos app. Phonos+ doesn’t do anything, but isn’t needed either.

Oddly, everything is slooooow. It takes a few minutes after I display playlists or select a playlist before album art will fill in, if it ever does. The same old quirks remain, like defaulting to the top of the queue, that’s still there and still annoying but not disabling.

But it’s progress. Is there any more recent indication from Sonos if and when ‘queue editing’ and saving new Sonos playlists will return? I assume the app remains very much a work in progress.

Answering the part in bold, This page tells us their intentions on timelines for fixes.

https://support.sonos.com/en/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Except it doesn't. They've already stopped maintaining it and they have missed several timelines outlined there already. 

So in short, nope.