Skip to main content

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Sept 19, 2024. See release notes.

This update will be rolled out for iOS and Android separately.

iOS - (Available starting today)
Version 80.09.05

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Improved performance when browsing content in Home and in Browse
  • Improved queue management including ability to delete, reorder and scroll
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Continued improvements to the user interface
  • Added Trueplay support for iOS 18

Note: This iOS update will be deployed in phases over the coming days. Please allow until Tuesday to receive via automatic updates. If you add a player to your system, you’ll be prompted to update during setup. If you’d like to get the update sooner, go to the App Store, locate the Sonos app, and tap the Update button. 

Android - (Scheduled for September 24

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Added setting to change the Alexa wake word language

You can also follow along with updates in this article: 

@Rhonny: Just out of curiosity, given that the user interface has changed in a number of ways that are neither intuitive nor obvious to the casual user, is there some documentation or self-guided instruction that Sonos has offered to the public that explains how the new controller works… if and when it works as intended?

I’ve not seen anything; but may have missed it. Seems like something the seller of a music playback system marketed as ‘user friendly’ would make available.

@Rhonny: Just out of curiosity, given that the user interface has changed in a number of ways that are neither intuitive nor obvious to the casual user, is there some documentation or self-guided instruction that Sonos has offered to the public that explains how the new controller works… if and when it works as intended?

I second this request.  Where’s the user manual?  This new controller UI is inscrutable. 

Apparently we are intended to just randomly swipe and poke at the damn thing and see what happens, which I have done, but which often leaves me scratching my head.  It’s usually impossible to tell if the result of the action is a bug or or is actually part of the UI design.

If I have a specific goal to achieve, like setting up a group, it’s very frustrating to have to fiddle with the app for hours trying to get there and not knowing if it’s not supported or just broken.

I second this request.  Where’s the user manual?  This new controller UI is inscrutable. 

Apparently we are intended to just randomly swipe and poke at the damn thing and see what happens, which I have done, but which often leaves me scratching my head.  It’s usually impossible to tell if the result of the action is a bug or or is actually part of the UI design.

If I have a specific goal to achieve, like setting up a group, it’s very frustrating to have to fiddle with the app for hours trying to get there and not knowing if it’s not supported or just broken.

To set up a group, you tap the single icon (showing two speakers) at the bottom of the screen. Then tick the speakers you want to group. It shouldn’t take hours. Edit - Unless you mean create a group? (Settings - Manage - Groups).

To set up a group, you tap the speaker icon at the bottom of the screen. Then tick the speakers you want to group. It shouldn’t take hours. 

I gather from Rhonny’s response the answer is ‘no, Sonos has not provided a straightforward guide to the new controller interface’; we’re expected to figure it out by trial and error.

But rather than answer the question Mark Hood posed, Rhonny insulted Mark’s intelligence. Nice.

Seems like something the seller of a music playback system marketed as ‘user friendly’ would make available.

‘User friendly’ by its nature wouldn’t warrant a user manual. (When did you last buy tech that comes with a user manual?)

The app isn’t sufficiently user friendly though as evidenced by the number of times I’ve needed to tell people how to play music on a speaker and group speakers. However, all people need to do is practice and use their memory. A bit like I have…

They have an online guide, what one might call a user manual here

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/guides/sonosapp

Even has visuals for those who work with pictures better than words 🤪

From my own first play with the app, it literally took minutes to figure it out.   The system-name (I’ve changed mine but I think the default was ‘Sonos’) has a drop-down arrow which reveals the list of rooms / zones to choose from.  Select one and swipe the list back down.  Everything else on screen are your sources.  I’m not saying it would win any awards or that it is without issues, but I don’t see it being inherently difficult, and it certainly doesn’t need a manual.   Everyone’s experiences are different, of course. 

Thank you, that was what I was looking for!  I wasn’t able to find that guide from the site.

So, from the guide, I see that the Output Selector is where you set up an ad-hoc group, and System Settings is where you can set up preset groups that you can then use back at the Output Selector.  And apparently the only function of the Apply button is to get you back to the previous screen. 

At least the actions to take and the expected results are described definitively, which is important, since now I know for sure that if a speaker refuses to play or unexpectedly joins or leaves a group that it’s not because I misunderstood the UI. 

Any product of sufficient complexity should make available an accurate description of its behavior and intended use (the “user manual”) because we all know that sometimes things just don’t work they way they should.  I’m definitely one of those people who reads the entire manual before playing with a new device, if available.

“The most obvious way to get back to current state parity is to provide access to the v16.1 app.  No need to rush development and testing on the v80.x.  Let those for whom the new app works continue.  Let those for whom the new app does not work migrate when core feature parity is achieved.  The last thing you want is to make the above promises and introduce new bugs.” 

Well said.  Astounding that a company that had the enviable market position as first-mover and innovator screwing it up with a poorly executed software release, and doesn’t have the chops to make such an obvious short-term fix.  But that would mean adding action to a hollow admission of error and probably cost someone their job.  My son cancelled his planned Sonos purchase when I relayed the problems with the app.   Even though they show so little respect for the current user base, one would think credibility with prospective customers might be a concern.

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jul 1, 2024. See release notes.

• Added multi-product setup for professional installers for iOS

• Improved accessibility for configuring alarms with VoiceOver and TalkBack

• Added autoplay setting for analog devices using line-in for Android

• Added support for SonosNet channel selection for Android

• Added timezone settings for iOS 

• Added the option to forget a system in order to connect to or create a new system for iOS

Coming soon

• Local music library search and playback: July

• Improved playback settings including Play Now: July

• Create and edit local music library: July

• Improved Autoplay settings: July

• Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July

• Snooze alarms: TBD

Known issues and workarounds

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

The updates that are planned fo July we suppose to be out in June. This is simply taking too long and in the meantime you have destroyed what use to be a wonderful musical experience.

The updates that are planned fo July we suppose to be out in June. This is simply taking too long and in the meantime you have destroyed what use to be a wonderful musical experience.

Its more of an aspirational manual considering it lists things that don’t work yet  Just two examples (ie the missing queue control and android widget):

Home Screen Volume Control (Android only)

Allow playback controls to appear on your device when you close the Sonos app.

Queue

Add, remove, and reorganize the songs coming up in your active listening session.

Note: Not applicable to all content types.

Thank you, that was what I was looking for!  I wasn’t able to find that guide from the site.

So, from the guide, I see that the Output Selector is where you set up an ad-hoc group, and System Settings is where you can set up preset groups that you can then use back at the Output Selector.  And apparently the only function of the Apply button is to get you back to the previous screen. 

At least the actions to take and the expected results are described definitively, which is important, since now I know for sure that if a speaker refuses to play or unexpectedly joins or leaves a group that it’s not because I misunderstood the UI. 

Any product of sufficient complexity should make available an accurate description of its behavior and intended use (the “user manual”) because we all know that sometimes things just don’t work they way they should.  I’m definitely one of those people who reads the entire manual before playing with a new device, if available.

Ahh just like Microsoft have with WIndow 7, 8, 10, 11 … etc …… :D

“The most obvious way to get back to current state parity is to provide access to the v16.1 app.  No need to rush development and testing on the v80.x.  Let those for whom the new app works continue.  Let those for whom the new app does not work migrate when core feature parity is achieved.  The last thing you want is to make the above promises and introduce new bugs.” 

Well said.  Astounding that a company that had the enviable market position as first-mover and innovator screwing it up with a poorly executed software release, and doesn’t have the chops to make such an obvious short-term fix.  But that would mean adding action to a hollow admission of error and probably cost someone their job.  My son cancelled his planned Sonos purchase when I relayed the problems with the app.   Even though they show so little respect for the current user base, one would think credibility with prospective customers might be a concern.

I agree. Today my app controller refuses to show that the radio is playing in three rooms. To turn it off I have to turn volume to zero. It's really very basic functionality and it frequently does not operate correctly. Sonos wake up and roll back to a fully functioning version of the app, while you sort out this shambles in your own sweet time.

I agree. Today my app controller refuses to show that the radio is playing in three rooms. To turn it off I have to turn volume to zero. It's really very basic functionality and it frequently does not operate correctly. Sonos wake up and roll back to a fully functioning version of the app, while you sort out this shambles in your own sweet time.

Now I'm trying to listen to the radio and using volume sliders to bring the sound up (the controller still thinks nothing is playing even though it is), hilariously the kitchen speakers volume slider keeps snapping back to zero. The dining room one joined in for a bit but seems to have settled down. It's beyond a joke now.  

My sonos does not work at all on phone or PC!

Support team is 1 hour wait and support chat doesn’t work.

The current support phone message says we (sonos) are listening?

Your message is 2 months old?

I will say one of the important ‘coming’ features for me is the ability to access my music library from the app.  I pair my two Move’s together for stereo, but can’t play any of the 1000+ songs in my music library with the stereo setup.  I sure hope that feature update doesn’t slip again (july now, used to say June)

There are multiple threads detailing how to access your music library since the update. I’m not sure which thread is best as I don’t use a music library but maybe someone in the know can direct you…

There are multiple threads detailing how to access your music library since the update. I’m not sure which thread is best as I don’t use a music library but maybe someone in the know can direct you…

I can use my music library over bluetooth, but when stereo pairing two Move’s you have to use wifi, and then can only play music through the Sonos app to continue hearing music in stereo.  Once I exit the sonos app and go into my music library, the song just plays on my phone, while Pandora (from inside the Sonos app) keeps playing on the paired speakers.  Thus … the only way to listen to my music library with 2 Move’s paired together would be for Sonos to allow me to access my music library through the app.  Sonos apps used to have this functionality, but this new one does not.

I have ready plenty about this, and no supposed solution actually works. 

Sonos themselves are saying that functionality is currently not available, but will be re-introduced in the app this month.  We’ll see.

When will you be adding back our playlists?

I’ve been adding to my playlist for years and now it’s gone.

When will you be adding back our playlists?

I’ve been adding to my playlist for years and now it’s gone.

For now, you can access them with the Sonos app for Windows or Mac. They’ve not been taken away. 

Next update July 22 details here:

https://tweakers.net/nieuws/224472/sonos-maakt-het-weer-mogelijk-om-lokale-muziekbibliotheken-in-te-stellen-via-app.html

• early August S1 downgrade 
  • end of August playlist and queue functions

nothing about making the app suck way less than it sucks today but I remain hopeful.  

So even this, posted just TWO DAYS AGO, has proven to be incorrect!!! Just how mismanaged has Sonos become? 

• early August S1 downgrade 
  • end of August playlist and queue functions

nothing about making the app suck way less than it sucks today but I remain hopeful.  

Another 6 weeks for playlist and queue functions???? This is far beyond a joke