Skip to main content

Hi, I have just acquired a gen 1 beam for my tv. I have a pair of play 1s that I use as a stereo pair in another room.  I don't want or need surround with the beam 90% of the time, what is the simplest solution to enable a quick switch.  I am happy enough to just have them true played for one location then turn off the trueplay option in the other room but am not sure if this is wiped when changing from surround mode to stereo music?

The system is on S1 as I have an old zp90 that I still use but would change to S2 if it offered some advantage.

Thanks in advance.  John.

It’s relatively ‘easy’ to change the stereo pair from a ‘music room’ to ‘surround speakers each time you want to alter their function, ultimately it’s a bunch of keypresses, and around probably two or three minutes of your time. Additionally, each time you do so, any TruePlay settings will be erased. My bet would be that you quickly find that it’s just too much effort. Sonos has never made it a ‘quick switch’. The cynical voice in my head suggests it’s due to the impact it would have on sales, but there is also the fact that there is a lot of change in the nature of the way the connection changes in the system that makes it more understandable, surrounds are essentially ‘slaves’ of the surround bar, where as ‘normal room’ speakers are ‘masters’ of their connection. And the ‘type’ of data and the flow is substantially different. 

In this functionality, there is no difference between S1 or S2. 

@Airgetlam , thanks, I guessed as much.  As I haven't set up the surrounds yet I suppose I will wait and see if their addition warrants keeping them permanently in that room. I already have a hifi there with a zp90 so am a bit loathe to clutter it with more gadgets permanently.