System not found issue only on Windows 10

• 1 August 2015
  • 26 replies

Since I updated my Windows OS only my Windows 10 PC now has this issue of 'System not found'. I have reset all HW and removed and re-installed all SW and the problem still exists. I can access the system through my Android phone so the problem is with Sonos/Windows 10. Please help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Hi Chris, I've done all of this twice and have been using Sonos PC software on Win 8.1 for over a year.  Seems something is not right here 🙂 All my tablets and IOS/Android devices are working well
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I was saying the new iOS can cause up issues. But if you've rebooted router then that would have cleared. When Apple iOS devices get new os a lot of times I have to forget wifi on device and then add back home wifi. Wouldn't hurt trying. If still not connecting it may be some new firewall issue although no others upgrading to 10 have mentioned.
I had same problem today and upgraded yesterday to Windows 10. Sonos controller cannot find system on the upgraded computer.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I had same problem today and upgraded yesterday to Windows 10. Sonos controller cannot find system on the upgraded computer.
Have you tried connecting to your system by clicking 'Add a new SONOS system' and 'Connect to an existing system'?
Found my problem I had to twink a few settings in my McAfee 'My Network' settings and now is all good. If you use McAfee or another Security SW I suggest you look there to fix this issue. Best of luck,Brian
Yes, I had the same problem. Had to go into McAfee and "trust" a new network.

Paul
I'm having the same problem, but on a brand new laptop with Windows. I installed the app, and complete the setup process. In all cases, the app tells me that it connected, and as soon as I close the window, the screen says that it could not find my Sonos. So, conflicting messages. This happens whether I set up with an existing Sonos, a new Sonos, and even when it is hardwired.
Badge
Sometimes there is a trial version of security software (McAfee, Symantec, Kaspersky or similar) installed even on brand new PCs.
Another culprit could be Windows location awareness (service), that's the pop-up window after you connect the Windows PC to a wireless or wired network asking you to select if it's a 'public', 'home' or 'business' network.
If you happen to select 'public network' Windows automatically sets very restrictive firewall settings, the PC is pretty much locked down. Same applies if Windows decides this is an 'unidentified network' and/or does not detect the internet connection.
So check those settings to see if you are properly connected and at least 'home network' is selected.
Check your Mcafee settings. You have to trust the new Windows 10 network

This worked for me:D
Solved! - Right click on McAfee icon in your apps tray on the bottom Windows ten bar and 'Change Settings' - 'Firewall' - 'Internet Connections for Programs'

Find 'Sonos Desktop Controller'

Change 'Access:' Incoming and Outgoing drop down to 'Open to all devices'

Check 'Net Guard' - Off

Save all changes and exit McAfee

Close your Sonos application and when you restart it, all is good!
Yes, I had the same problem. Had to go into McAfee and "trust" a new network.

Paul

Worked like a charm Paul. Thanks. A couple of clicks in McAfee and poof, all is good!
I have just updated my office computers to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro. The controllers on the PCs cannot connect to the system any longer. The controller on my Android phone still can. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the controllers, I have reset the components, I have reset the router, still the Android phone can connect and the PCs cannot. I have seen other posts, but have not found anything that works to solve the issue. I have not yet reinstalled my antivirus (it uninstalled with the upgrade), so that is not the issue. I have tried disabling the Windows firewall, without effect. I have a SonicWall Hardware firewall TZ-100, but it is the same as it has been for the time I have had this Sonos system, when it was functioning under Windows 7 Pro. The only difference at this time is the Windows 10 upgrade. Help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would probably call phone support to resolve the firewall issue since you have not had success with.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have just updated my office computers to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro. The controllers on the PCs cannot connect to the system any longer. The controller on my Android phone still can. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the controllers, I have reset the components, I have reset the router, still the Android phone can connect and the PCs cannot. I have seen other posts, but have not found anything that works to solve the issue. I have not yet reinstalled my antivirus (it uninstalled with the upgrade), so that is not the issue. I have tried disabling the Windows firewall, without effect. I have a SonicWall Hardware firewall TZ-100, but it is the same as it has been for the time I have had this Sonos system, when it was functioning under Windows 7 Pro. The only difference at this time is the Windows 10 upgrade. Help!

Hi VJP,

Please check the network type on your Windows 10 computers. By default their network type should be set to public. Public networks have limited connectivity as a security feature. Please change the network type to private in order to connect to your Sonos system. Here's how to change the network type in Windows 10.

Please let me know if you still can't connect to your system after changing the network type to private.
I will check that. The computers belong to a Domain, so I thought private was automatic, but I will see tomorrow when I am there
thank you
I had a similar issue, with my Sonos app not being able to connect through via Windows 10. Android phone and android tablet were working just fine.
I disabled the windows firewall and had no Anti Virus software.
The issue was caused by "VirtualBox Host-Only Network" available in Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network Connections. Once that was disabled the app connected to my Sonos system without any issues.
OK I think I have this problem but the message flashes up too fast for it to be read. Ive had it working on Windows 10 for a while but we recently had our router upgraded. I can connect to Sonos via other devices but not this pc. I've tried restarting the router, I've checked the firewall, and I've forgotten and re established the network. Oh and I've reinstalled the Sonos controller. None of them work. Help!
Disabled the "Virtual box host only ethernet-adapter" in the device manager. Thats solved my problem!
Thanks 😃....
Cheers,
Andreas
Found my problem I had to twink a few settings in my McAfee 'My Network' settings and now is all good. If you use McAfee or another Security SW I suggest you look there to fix this issue. Best of luck,Brian
I have the same issue-- just upgraded to Win10 and although Sonos recognizes my wifi and will play music off my Android phone and via the computer from Pandora, it will not recognize my computer in order to play my music off my hard drive. I don't have McAfee however I have tried turning off the firewall in all my other AV programs. Northing works. I have called Tech support and was bumped up to a next-level tech and he really seemed to know what he was doing, but even he could not find the problem. I'm at my wits end (because I've had so many other issues and time-consuming hassles when upgrading my system, and I've got about one nerve left.)

Help!!!!
(Thanks!)
Recent Windows update 1709 automatically turns off smbv1 file sharing, that is needed by Sonos. Control Panel/Programs and Features/Turn windows features on or off/SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support/: uncheck smb v 1.0/cifs automatic removal and check the other two. reboot.
Recent Windows update 1709 automatically turns off smbv1 file sharing, that is needed by Sonos. Control Panel/Programs and Features/Turn windows features on or off/SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support/: uncheck smb v 1.0/cifs automatic removal and check the other two. reboot.

I had a fresh Windows 10 install after a crashed HD. This was the answer to my problem. Thanks tenholde!

Many thanks for this work-around, tenholde.

I upgraded my Win10 installation and my local Win10 music library stopped working with Sonos. This solved the problem, although I gather it's not ideal from a security viewpoint.

Hopefully Sonos are working on a better solution for personal music libraries: I read elsewhere that Amazon are removing their "My Music" option to store your own music in their cloud, so there is a growing gap in the market.