Skip to main content

Hi is there a way to stream audio that is playing on my MAC, Ipad or Android device to Sonos - if Sonos doesn’t support the music services (EG: Soundcloud private links or Instagram Live) there is not easy way to play it through your Sonos system - seems like a much needed product feature.

Mac and iPad can use Airplay 2, assume you have modern enough Sonos gear that supports Airplay.

as long as you have one of below Sonos devices you can send Airplay2 from apple device and can group with older Sonos devices to play to those as well.

• Beam
  • Amp
  • Sonos One
  • Playbase
  • Play:5 (second generation)
  • SYMFONISK
  • Move
  • One SL
  • Port

What if i don’t - surely there is a way to support customers who don’t have the latest hardware?

What kit do you have?

Mix of things. Play 1, Play 5, connect amps and play 3. All older generations ranging from 2011 to 2015. 

You just need one of the above then you can group and stream to older units.

But yes - that is what you need

A Sonos SL is the cheapest device to get the capability.   If you have older units you should be able to get 30% off a Sonos SL thus making it $129

Is your Play:5 a gen1 ?   A gen2 one would work (came out in 2015)

Use the Aux input on the Play:5. Connect the source to that, either directlyor use a set of Bluetooth transmitter/receiver. 

If a Play:5 gen 1 yes you could do a Bluetooth transmitter or Airport Express…. but by the time you do that you may as well just by a Sonos One SL for about $120 and have a full bridge device to do everything you want.

If cost is an issue, a quick search on Amazon shows lots of Bluetooth switchable tx/rx 3.5mm devices for under £20 each. Will work with Gen 1 and Gen 2 Play:5’s. I agree a One SL keeps things in the Sonos family.