SONOS SOFTWARE

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Yes it is. It will highlight misconfigurations in your network, and once you understand networking and it is all set up properly, it will run problem free for years. Sonos was great it in its infancy because you had a fraction of the network related items in your home or business that you do now. I was in IT and knew what I was doing and I made a major change to my network a few years ago and Sonos, which ran fine for over a decade, blew up. It was not happy. Took me a while to figure out my IP reservation table on my server, which I had just shut down for good, was no longer active. Once I put those reservations in my router, it’s been up and running without a hitch for over two years.

If you’re having a problem with your system it is most likely in most cases an IP conflict. People claim their networks are fine because ‘other stuff works,’ but other stuff isn’t pulling data consistently across their wireless and highlighting config issues. On iOS, bust out an app like FING to see what network devices are in play and conflicting. I’m not sure what a comparable app is on Android. You’ll be amazed at what you see.

Good luck.

Ya, I was gonna get a Sonos system for my parents.  They’re senior citizens, they’re mostly at home due to COVID and they can figure out the basics.  Yes, senior citizens still enjoy music.  I can guarantee that they’re not gonna be able to figure out misconfigurations in their network.  I mean hell, if I can’t they can’t.

Apply this to the 95% of the target market that just want to simply turn on their systems and get music the way Sonos was intended to, and don’t have the tech savvy, the time or the inclination to figure out what’s wrong when the online Sonos troubleshooting directions don’t work, and you’ll understand why this product sucks.

Again--you shouldn’t need an IT degree to make your Sonos work.  When it was as easy as running a Bluetooth speaker, Sonos was awesome.  Now, it’s virtually unusable and the company seems to have lost its way.

So far, I’ve not needed an IT degree, and my Sonos system of 19 speakers has been rock solid for over 10 years now. Of course, I didn’t start off with 19 speakers, but the point is still valid. 

Well I have an IT degree, so I actually know what requires an IT degree and what doesn’t.  Sonos is most certainly the latter.  In fact, for people having trouble, most can either be walked through the steps very easily, or hire a 13 year old.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

From the plethora of posts here in recent weeks, it’s going to take a heck of a lot of 13 year-olds to sort things out!

I guess you’ll point to all those who don’t complain … but it would be interesting to know how many returns are made by purchasers who just give up without any contact.

My 3 unit system is stable, but I dread the day when I have to switch it to my second router system (that’ll probably be Ebay Day).

Welp, the Gremlin lover is back.  There goes the neighborhood.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

From the plethora of posts here in recent weeks, it’s going to take a heck of a lot of 13 year-olds to sort things out!

I guess you’ll point to all those who don’t complain … but it would be interesting to know how many returns are made by purchasers who just give up without any contact.

My 3 unit system is stable, but I dread the day when I have to switch it to my second router system (that’ll probably be Ebay Day).

My four unit system is mostly stable, but to pretend that the system doesn't have problems would be me telling a lie. 

I think part of the problem is that folks end up here desperate, only to be met by the forum folks who wont relate or have some kind of developmental delay and can't 🤷‍♀️ ie^

​​​​​​