Sonos S2 order of artists and blank genre

• 5 October 2020
  • 32 replies

Show first post

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But only to a very small percentage of users, if I read it right? Only people that play music from their Android phone?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I too have this problem. Just bought 2 roams for my camper van. Very happy with Roams, but as I don’t have a nas in the van, I thought I’d use my iPad. Alas, all I can do with that is start the track in Apple Music ap, then switch to Sonos to have control over Roam settings etc. Obviously a pain. Then I discovered that on my Pixel phone, Sonos will play music directly from it. Fantastic, wonderful! So loaded up my phone with all my music and went into and found totally random list of Artists. What I don’t understand is why it can alphabetically sort Albums, Songs but not Artists? That I just can’t understand given I have gone through every album and updated all the tags with correct info for each album and Artist. Please explain someone why it can’t sort the Artist from the tags like it does for all the other tags!

Same problem here. Just moved my music from an Honor (Huawei) phone which displayed artists alphabetically to a newer Motorola phone which now has random sorting of artists. Every other music app seems to cope just fine.

I'm new to Sonos, dipping my toe in the water with a Roam and two Sonos Ones. I was going to migrate to this "more robust" platform than my Amazon Alexa setup, but already I'm thinking it's a mistake. The sound quality is certainly better but the interface and reliability seems pretty flaky. Not just this issue with the app. I switched to a different phone as the app was skipping random songs on the last phone, saying that it couldn't contact the phone, and I also seem to regularly need to restart the roam for the app to see it. Lots of niggly issues...

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I'm new to Sonos, dipping my toe in the water with a Roam and two Sonos Ones. I was going to migrate to this "more robust" platform than my Amazon Alexa setup, but already I'm thinking it's a mistake. The sound quality is certainly better but the interface and reliability seems pretty flaky. Not just this issue with the app. I switched to a different phone as the app was skipping random songs on the last phone, saying that it couldn't contact the phone, and I also seem to regularly need to restart the roam for the app to see it. Lots of niggly issues...

If you want to enjoy Sonos’ robustness, do NOT play music directly from your Android phone. Phones make terribly unreliable http servers. Either using one the 80 supported music services, or put the files on a PC/Mac/NAS.

Christmas is coming and I’m considering adding to my Sonos lineup. I primarily play from my phone, and have been frustrated with the lack of artist sorting for a few years. I see the last post was 5-months ago. Are there any updates? I want to know if a resolution is coming, before investing more in Sonos.

Unlikely to be any update, Sonos focuses on streaming from the various service providers, and not from local sources. Streaming services is where the great majority of the Sonos system use is, apparently. On the other hand, they’ve made no changes that would hurt those of us who play from local sources, my Sonos works as well today as it did more than ten years ago when I started purchasing it. 

I don’t store music on my phone/pad beyond what was installed by the manufacturer. Mostly, I play from my NAS drive and occasionally from an online service. For me, one of the best features of the SONOS approach is that the system plays the music directly. Once I’ve started the music playing I can shut down my phone/pad/computer.