Answered

Sonos S2 app improvements needed

• 30 January 2024
  • 11 replies

Sonos team PLEASE hire some people and finally make some improvements to the Sonos S2 app on iOS. The experience would have been so much better! PLEASE start with the Lock Screen control as so many people asked before already.

icon

Best answer by jgatie 30 January 2024, 16:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

The lock screen controls were removed at the orders of Apple.  In order to put them back, Apple needs to change their rules forbidding 3rd party hardware being controlled via hard buttons and/or lock screen controls.

Isn’t that absolutely ridiculous!? Come on Apple. Life would have been so much easier. But thanks for the clarification anyway. 

Isn’t that absolutely ridiculous!? Come on Apple. Life would have been so much easier. But thanks for the clarification anyway. 

So maybe Sonos doesn’t need to hire better people?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@melvimbe 

To be fair @blazpikalupse didn‘t say „better“… 😉 So even not for this issue but sometimes „some more“ people would be nice to get a 1:1 support over here. 😅

One point on topic… we had this discussion deeply also on the german community and I just had the idea that Sonos could integrate Sonos Radio playback for the iOS device itself. 
Depending on how in detail Apples rules are this might be a solution. As far as I know using the hardware buttons is allowed generally, if the app provides playback on the ios device itself (and apparently also on other 3rd party devices). 
But as said just an idea. 

@melvimbe

To be fair @blazpikalupse didn‘t say „better“… 😉 So even not for this issue but sometimes „some more“ people would be nice to get a 1:1 support over here. 😅

One point on topic… we had this discussion deeply also on the german community and I just had the idea that Sonos could integrate Sonos Radio playback for the iOS device itself. 
Depending on how in detail Apples rules are this might be a solution. As far as I know using the hardware buttons is allowed generally, if the app provides playback on the ios device itself (and apparently also on other 3rd party devices). 
But as said just an idea. 

My understanding was that the method Sonos used previously was to basically play silent audio so that iOS device thought it was controlling volume from an app playing audio on the device.  The Sonos app would then reinterpret the volume commands to pass on to the speakers.  So your suggestion is pretty similar, but playing Sonos radio instead of silence. Perhaps that’s ok with Apple if you actually have audio playing on the device, but if would have to be only Sonos radio, for licensing reasons and all.  Plus, a lot of customers would not want audio playing on the device.

My understanding was that the method Sonos used previously was to basically play silent audio so that iOS device thought it was controlling volume from an app playing audio on the device.  The Sonos app would then reinterpret the volume commands to pass on to the speakers.  So your suggestion is pretty similar, but playing Sonos radio instead of silence. Perhaps that’s ok with Apple if you actually have audio playing on the device, but if would have to be only Sonos radio, for licensing reasons and all.  Plus, a lot of customers would not want audio playing on the device.

Right, and this is the hack Apple finally put the stops to.  I’m not sure Apple is going to let playing a silent Sonos radio station to fall through the cracks when they went out of their way to stop the original hack.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Sonos team PLEASE hire some people and finally make some improvements to the Sonos S2 app on iOS. The experience would have been so much better! PLEASE start with the Lock Screen control as so many people asked before already.

Just use Airplay to play to your speakers and you can use lock screen controls. Additional benefit is you don’t have to use the crappy s2 app. Win win. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Bumper 

I don’t buy a Sonos multiroom audiosystem with all its benefits like direct streaming to the devices just to end in Airplay. 😉

I think we are not talking about how to stream to be able to use hardware buttons…  we are talking about how to use hardware buttons when streaming directly to Sonos. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@melvimbe 

@jgatie 

I agree with you… in the end it depends on Apples generosity… 🙄

Just thought that a real sound output could convince them instead of the „silent audio trick“. 
And as a benefit user would be able to use Sonos Radio not just on their Sonos system. But maybe you’re wright and many even won’t like to. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@Bumper

I don’t buy a Sonos multiroom audiosystem with all its benefits like direct streaming to the devices just to end in Airplay. 😉

I think we are not talking about how to stream to be able to use hardware buttons…  we are talking about how to use hardware buttons when streaming directly to Sonos. 😎

It’s cool if you don’t want airplay but I was responding to OP who has expressed some dissatisfaction with the Sonos app. Using airplay provides op with a way to address one of their issues.  The added benefit is they get all the many benefits of using native apps instead of the IMO crappy Sonos app. Their mileage may vary obvs. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Bumper 

No problem… different opinions belong to different needs. 😉

For those who are fine with Airplay, that will be satisfying. But I can’t believe there are many. 
But you are right… just from the technical view it’s a solution to use hardware buttons.