sonos poor support for existing s1 customers.

• 24 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

What really pisses me off about this S1 S2 thing is that it is absolutely possible to make later technology work with the older technology. The new units have more memory and faster processors so can easily deal with the old requirement.

I recently purchased a sonos roam, what a load of bollocks to set it up, you need to set up a new system and your old kit won't work.

it is so easy for sonos to provide the old functionality on new tech they just want to squeeze their customers. 

4 replies

I can say with great authority that you know nothing about Sonos' architecture if you think it can in any way combine S1 and S2 devices in the same system.  Absolute zero knowledge.

Userlevel 1

You are saying that sonos could not support s2 device on s1 system..  of course they could if they chose to. I don't care about new features just the existing s1 features would be great. I object to spending so much on a system that is obsolete so quickly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You are saying that sonos could not support s2 device on s1 system..  of course they could if they chose to. I don't care about new features just the existing s1 features would be great. I object to spending so much on a system that is obsolete so quickly. 

Do you complain to the manufacturers of your 15-year-old computer and mobile phone too? Or are they still supported? 

As has been stated dozens of times, S1 can support S2 devices that were manufactured up until the split because S1 knows what those devices are, so the requirement that all devices are aware of all others and are able to communicate with them in order to sync is met.  For devices manufactured after the split, S1 has no idea what they are, so they can't communicate, and they can't be supported.  And those devices can't be added to S1 because S1 devices have no more room in memory and storage to support new devices, hence the unavoidable split.