Skip to main content
I've been using Sonos with an old MacBook Pro with reasonable success for the last 4 years or so. Suddenly the Sonos player on the Mac can't run unless I update it. I can't update it unless I update the Mac's operating system. I can't update the operating system on this particular MacBook Pro because it's too old. Why can't I simply run the previous version of Sonos? I'm not going to buy a new Mac just so my 2 Sonos speakers can work. That's insane. Any thoughts?
Do you not have a mobile device that's more current? Your library can continue to live on the older OS on the Macbook, and you can control it from a newer mobile device.
Yes! I always had the Sonos app on my iPhone as well, but I mistakenly thought I had to have the player up and running on the Mac as well for it to work. Just tried it out. I am able to control the music on the Mac via the app on the iPhone. Thank you for the heads up Airgetiam!
No worries. Your Mac is just acting as an NAS, i.e. storage for the data on the hard drive. The speakers reach out to get the data from there, there's no reason to actually run the (remote control) app on your Mac.
Even if you Mac wasn't so ancient, you would find the current version of the Mac version of the Sonos app has a lot of features missing these days compared to the older versions, such as Setup and Room Settings.