Answered

Sonos iOS Apps volume not working with iPhone volume button

• 27 July 2023
  • 87 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

The Sonos app suddenly not working with the iOS lock screen control and volume button anymore, suspect it happen after the Sonos iOS app updates.

So far I had tried:

1. Restart the iPhone and make sure the iOS and Sonos App having latest version
  2. Reset Sonos app
  3. Reset + uninstall + reinstall app
  4. Off and on Sonos ERA300 and do the above
  5. Research all possible solutions from Google but nothing helps yet :(

All of this not working, my app version is 15.6 build 74043110 with iPhone 14 Pro iOS 16.6. Is anyone facing the same issue or this is a known software bug?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 27 July 2023, 06:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

This sucks! Now I have to go into app and swipe volume op or down. Much prefer using the physical volume buttons on iPhone also when locked…

Gotto change as this is not user-frienfly at all!

I completely agree with the sentiments above: not being able to control the speaker volume from the Sonos app using the iPhone buttons is ridiculous. It used to work so this is just some bureaucratic nonsense. If the Sonos app is not classed as a music player app - then maybe you need to reclassify it - or create a music player app that we can use as people would expect. Come on - you are a big enough company that I’m sure you can work with Apple to fix the problem.

To the bolded - How do you know they haven’t?  The last time Apple removed functionality, Sonos tried for over a year to work with them to fix it, and Apple wouldn’t budge.  

Badge

What a stupid excuse.  No more sonos products for me.

Right. Boycott Sonos, based on a decision made by Apple. Makes sense. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

For sale: 

No trading allowed in this community. Has been reported.

such nonsense, Sonos and Apple have problems with each other and the customer has the errors again, when will these problems finally stop... Other apps can access the volume controls without any difficulty, excuses for stupid...🤢

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No. Apple makes problems by only letting music players change volume, not remotes like the Sonos app. What can Sonos do?

I’ve tested the S1 app by downgrading one speaker and the iPhone sonos app volume control works!! I did not check S1 in the Lock Screen as that was less important to me. S2 volume control never works anymore. This is a big deal to me as I used to be able to control the volume with everything including my Apple Watch. None of these work anymore. A real disappointment. 😣

How do I downgrade my entire system to S1 to get this vital feature back? I get an error saying downgrading failed. Do I need to buy new S1 units?

Thanks in advance!!

I’ve tested the S1 app by downgrading one speaker and the iPhone sonos app volume control works!! I did not check S1 in the Lock Screen as that was less important to me. S2 volume control never works anymore. This is a big deal to me as I used to be able to control the volume with everything including my Apple Watch. None of these work anymore. A real disappointment. 😣

How do I downgrade my entire system to S1 to get this vital feature back? I get an error saying downgrading failed. Do I need to buy new S1 units?

Thanks in advance!!

S1 no longer has it, either.  Apple clamped down on its rules against using hard buttons or the lock screen to control 3rd party hardware.  If Sonos didn't get rid of it, they'd be kicked off the App Store. 

such nonsense, Sonos and Apple have problems with each other and the customer has the errors again, when will these problems finally stop... Other apps can access the volume controls without any difficulty, excuses for stupid...🤢

"Other apps" are media players, not remote controls for 3rd party hardware.

Thanks in advance!!

S1 no longer has it, either.  Apple clamped down on its rules against using hard buttons or the lock screen to control 3rd party hardware.  If Sonos didn't get rid of it, they'd be kicked off the App Store. 

In app S1 volume control works with IOS 17. I just need to know how to move the rest of my system over to S1. Waiting for support on this request.  

Some speakers can not be ‘downgraded’ to S1, they don’t exist in the operating system as a defined speaker. Which devices are you interested in downgrading?

It might help you to read this, and the associated FAQs.