Answered

Sonos iOS Apps volume not working with iPhone volume button

• 27 July 2023
  • 87 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

Userlevel 1

Let’s see, removing functionality makes it better….?  Oh wait, it still works on Android devices?  So is Sonos giving Apple the finger?  Makes one wonder.

So they basically stop developing the desktop app years ago with the thought that everyone is controlling using tablet or smartphone, which I guess isn’t too far off the mark (I still use both the desktop and mobile versions).  And then they (Sonos) removes functionality and this makes it better?  Better for who, their developers since it’s clearly not their customer base.

Please Sonos, restore this little piece of functionality.  I have considered deleting most current app release and restoring the 15.5 release and just not updating the app moving forward.

I’m confused as to how anyone can think that removing things like ‘play from this device’ or ‘hardware volume functions’ serves Sonos in any way as an intelligent business choice. It seems relatively clear that these changes are being forced on Sonos by others…

Userlevel 1

Sirius please fix this issue ffs   Opening my iPhone and opening the Sirius app to adjust the volume is 💩. Laying in bed at night I want to grab my phone and push the iPhone buttons. Anyone know a speaker that doesn’t operate like this pos?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wow.  This is kind of a giant bummer to me.  I have ALWAYS used the buttons on my iPhone and it completely throws me off having to mess with the app each time.  I am also super unimpressed with having to dig through these forums to find out it was intentional.  Sonos, you make it hard to love you sometimes.  You will add two good features and then blow up something for fun (or a dumb idea).  Please work on getting this back.  I have never had an issue ever so not really sure what experience it was not providing.  

At least the Spotify programmers are competent enough to allow the buttons so I can go that route.  Maybe you should hire a few of them to help you.  

Userlevel 1

Did Elon musk buy Sonos? And btw Sirius doesn’t blow Sonos blows I was pissed when I made my account. I luv Sirius. Sonos is junk. Bring back the volume control

Was planning on buying additional Sonos products but now due to removing the side button volume control I am going to check other manufacturers products.  Probably sell what I have. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sirius please fix this issue ffs   Opening my iPhone and opening the Sirius app to adjust the volume is 💩. Laying in bed at night I want to grab my phone and push the iPhone buttons. Anyone know a speaker that doesn’t operate like this pos?

What has changed is commanding Sonos from the lock screen using the Sonos app, probably because that is not actually sending music to the speakers itself. If you are using the SiriusXM app you are probably sending music from your phone to the speakers, in which case Sirius XM could ad controls to the app (as Spotify has done)?

Userlevel 1

I don’t think think the Sonos is Bluetooth. It has to be run from the Sonia app. The Sirius app to a jbl speaker works fab via Bluetooth and has those controls. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

You get this removed functionality and a whole lot more if you use the native Apps (eg Apple Music, Spotify etc) and Airplay to Sonos.

Userlevel 1

Thanks. Sirius is aware of my concerns as is Sonos. Apple Music and Spotify do not have the content I’m interested in

This is a significant setback for the product. Is anyone aware if Sonos produce a hardware remote control that can be used with their products instead? Thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Siriusblows Maybe I was confused because you mentioned you where working with the Sirius app, not the Sonos app?

@YellowGypsy See https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/symfonisk-dirigera-sound-remote-with-hub-kit-gen-2-smart-white-s79536918/

Userlevel 1

Nice thanks. I’m confused as well sometimes. I use the Sonos  app to listen to Sirius satellite radio on an sl 1   I’m not aware of a way to connect the Sirius app to the the sl1.  I believe but don’t know or care that the new Sonos  speaker is Bluetooth and I could use the Sirius app but that’s not my reality. I’m gonna * the speaker and do something else Sonos free 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 2
Badge

This is a significant setback for the product. Is anyone aware if Sonos produce a hardware remote control that can be used with their products instead? Thank you. 

I agree.  I would even spend additional money for a hardware remote.  If you are going to make things harder to control at least give us a better option.  

Also, since I see some mods have removed things.  Is there any plans to bring this back?  Not a total deal breaker but I am starting to lose patience with these kind of things.  Sonos is less and less the only game in town (cough Audio Pro) and I would hope they would get that.  I have over ten products, but also I am one of the types to sell everything and go to a whole new ecosystem if I get annoyed enough.  

Here ya go:

https://www.soundguys.com/best-sonos-alternatives-20930/

I agree.  I would even spend additional money for a hardware remote.  If you are going to make things harder to control at least give us a better option.  

Also, since I see some mods have removed things.  Is there any plans to bring this back?  Not a total deal breaker but I am starting to lose patience with these kind of things.  Sonos is less and less the only game in town (cough Audio Pro) and I would hope they would get that.  I have over ten products, but also I am one of the types to sell everything and go to a whole new ecosystem if I get annoyed enough.  Or maybe check that stock price.  Ticking off loyal customers is not the way to improve that.  

It seems like you might not be aware that the reason this was removed is because it would not work reliably ( would not work in some scenarios, had to repaired every time Apple changed things) and did not fit wit Apple’s policies.  That means that no other multiroom audio system (other than airplay, which Sonos supports) is going to be able to do this either. That means there isn’t going to be a plan to bring it back till Apply changes their policy.

Sonos is very unlikely to produce their own hardware remote.  They have been down that road before and abandoned the idea when smartphones became a thing and made their remotes essentially obsolete. There are some 3rd part remotes out there, ikea already mention, and lutron is another good option.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Also, since I see some mods have removed things.  Is there any plans to bring this back?  Not a total deal breaker but I am starting to lose patience with these kind of things.  Sonos is less and less the only game in town (cough Audio Pro) and I would hope they would get that.  I have over ten products, but also I am one of the types to sell everything and go to a whole new ecosystem if I get annoyed enough.  Or maybe check that stock price.  Ticking off loyal customers is not the way to improve that.  

It seems like you might not be aware that the reason this was removed is because it would not work reliably ( would not work in some scenarios, had to repaired every time Apple changed things) and did not fit wit Apple’s policies.  That means that no other multiroom audio system (other than airplay, which Sonos supports) is going to be able to do this either. That means there isn’t going to be a plan to bring it back till Apply changes their policy.

Sonos is very unlikely to produce their own hardware remote.  They have been down that road before and abandoned the idea when smartphones became a thing and made their remotes essentially obsolete. There are some 3rd part remotes out there, ikea already mention, and lutron is another good option.

The part that I don’t get is how Spotify and Tidal both work fine, and also I never once had an issue.  If those companies can make it work why can’t Sonos?  It seems to work just fine elsewhere.  If all companies were giving up I would say sure, but this appears to be more of a Sonos issue than it being impossible.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I understand it the feature works with music players. The Sonos app is not a music player (the speakers fetch the music themselves) but a remote to the system…..

Userlevel 2
Badge

As I understand it the feature works with music players. The Sonos app is not a music player (the speakers fetch the music themselves) but a remote to the system…..

I never actually thought about their music service.  if they consider the app just a controller and don’t support volume then I am sure it will push some folks to other services (it easily would me).  Why would you even consider the Sonos service if it has inferior functionality.  I just think they should reconsider  this decision because I am sure they are also costing themselves radio subs.  

I never actually thought about their music service.  if they consider the app just a controller and don’t support volume then I am sure it will push some folks to other services (it easily would me).  Why would you even consider the Sonos service if it has inferior functionality.  I just think they should reconsider  this decision because I am sure they are also costing themselves radio subs.  

The difference is you can start playback on your Sonos using a controller, then have the controller leave the situation, and the music will continue to play, because it is the speaker that has been told to go ‘get’ the music. 

Other services that are still allowed to use the buttons are playing through the controller device, which then sends the signal to the Sonos, so if that controller device leaves, or is shut down, the music would stop.

I don’t think there’s a decision to be taken by Sonos, this is being forced on them by Apple. I’d think Sonos would prefer to have it remain the way it was, but aren’t being given that option. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@mattmik You can still control volume with the Sonos app (or voice, or the IKEA Dirigera Hub and remote) , just not with the lock screen controls.

I’m very disappointed to hear this. I use Sonos throughout my home, and when I need a quick sound adjustment for a meeting or other purpose, the side buttons are far easier to access than opening the app to control the volume. While seemingly small, this is a large impact. If this is a Sonos decision, I think it is a poor choice for user experience. If this is an Apple decision, please let us know so we can petition Apple. 

It is a Sonos decision, forced on them by Apple. 

Userlevel 1

What do blind people do? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@mattmik You can still control volume with the Sonos app (or voice, or the IKEA Dirigera Hub and remote) , just not with the lock screen controls.

If I have the Sonos app open on my phone I cannot use the volume buttons either.  I have to use the slider which is not ideal.  Am I missing something?  I would be fine with having the app up but that is not functioning on the two iPhones in our house.  

I would not mind the Ikea remote, but they have a habit of discontinuing things pretty quickly and the $80 or so it cost isn’t cheap.  I also have two other smart hubs in my house,  I still would love it is Sonos would make an OEM remote.