Sonos Five cannot be connected as PC speaker or phone output speaker

• 22 October 2022
  • 8 replies

The Sonos Speaker does not support bluetooth because there are losses. however, there must be protocol and software(device drivers or middle ware) which should be able to connect the five as an output speaker from my PC or phone.

I do not need to connect a external device to do the same.

Buying such luxury speaker should come with atleast these features or atleast allow the community to develop such software.

8 replies

The price of the speaker is absolutely irrelevant.  It is designed as a multiroom networked speaker and it is brilliant value.  In any case all you need to do is buy a cheap Bluetooth receiver and plug it into the line-in socket on the Five.

Another option would be to buy a Roam.  As well as being an excellent portable Bluetooth speaker it can be used to bring Bluetooth to your networked Sonos system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Or use the headphone out or rca out on the pc to the line-in on the Five via appropriate cable. 

Why cannot have a protocol to support it , that is simpler and is inline with the ideology of the company

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Why cannot have a protocol to support it , that is simpler and is inline with the ideology of the company

Because PC or phone speakers is not a (current) market where Sonos is aiming their product, I would speculate. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

A Sonos soundbar can be used as a computer speaker (via optical). You can play music to a speaker via Airplay (Apple) or “from this phone” (Android) and from streaming services. This might not be a very sought after use case.

Personally, I don’t want my computer playing music and would never use such a feature.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

A 3.5mm headphone jack is a long-established protocol which every PC has, which can connect to your Five.

Badge

Personally, I don’t want my computer playing music and would never use such a feature.

Well, good for you. I do. Its easy to open Tidal on the big display and listen to music all day while I work, which I don’t want to do on computer speakers