Skip to main content

Sonos does not work on Mesh Networks - And New App is WORSE than S2 was. It doesn't work at all

• 13 July 2024
  • 4 replies

The whole point of SONOS is that it “just works” to have music through your whole house (inside and out).  Anyone who wants that probably has a Mesh network to be able to connect while they are outside…  But Since S2, and now this new PIECE OF GARBAGE APP, SONOS is basically non functioning.  IF and thats a BIG IF, IF it even connects to the 10 devices we have, it skips, repeats, songs, etc.  It take 30 seconds just to raise or lower the volume or connect a new device.  the LAG is insane - and what it looks like, is that for whatever reason the app must be sending what I’m doing first to sonos and then back to our devices…. ITS IS INSANE HOW BAD THIS MOST IMPORTANT PART OF SONOS HAS BECOME.  THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I have an Asus mesh network and both versions work.

Have a look here

Userlevel 4
Badge

I agree. The most frustrating thing about the app is its speed (or lack thereof). Changing a song or changing the volume requires a lot of patience and time. It’s slow and unresponsive 

I do not particularly like the new app, but it is as fast as the previous version on my system.  In fact, as it is just a remote control for the Sonos system, it doesn’t really do enough to be slow or fast.  What can be slow or fast is the transit of data from controller to speakers and back, and this is far more likely to be the source of your problems.

Sonos can work well with mesh networks, but it may require careful attention to your network settings.  A useful solution to many problems was to wire one Sonos device to your network, so as to trigger SonosNet.  This is becoming less useful as newer Sonos speakers don’t have Ethernet connections and cannot connect to SonosNet.  I could easily believe that this will leave some incompatibilities between a particular Sonos system and particular mesh networks that are difficult to resolve.

On the comment “new app is worse than S2” - We are still on S2.  The Sonos controller app has been redesigned, and that is nothing like as significant as the S1/S2 split, and completely different in nature.  I do understand that the redesign has had many adverse consequences, at least in the short term, for many users’ use and enjoyment of the system

@B0nesaw - you appear to have only older Sonos gear.  Do you currently have a Sonos device wired to you network?  If so, to which network device is it wired?  What mesh network do you have?  What we know is that the way you have your Sonos system currently configured it doesn’t work with a particular brand of mesh network, as you have it configured.  Do you not think it is a bit of a leap to the conclusion that Sonos does not work with mesh networks?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The whole point of SONOS is that it “just works” to have music through your whole house (inside and out).  Anyone who wants that probably has a Mesh network to be able to connect while they are outside…  But Since S2, and now this new PIECE OF GARBAGE APP, SONOS is basically non functioning.  IF and thats a BIG IF, IF it even connects to the 10 devices we have, it skips, repeats, songs, etc.  It take 30 seconds just to raise or lower the volume or connect a new device.  the LAG is insane - and what it looks like, is that for whatever reason the app must be sending what I’m doing first to sonos and then back to our devices…. ITS IS INSANE HOW BAD THIS MOST IMPORTANT PART OF SONOS HAS BECOME.  THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

TP-Link Deco mesh works brilliantly with Sonos here. No issues whatsoever:

Router wifi off and DHCP allocation on.

DNS is 1.1.1.1.

First mesh node connected to router by Ethernet.

Mesh in AP mode (so DHCP allocation off), wifi on. 

Lovely stuff.