Sonos controller problem on iOS 9.3.5

Userlevel 1
I have my Sonos controller on several iOS devices but after the most recent Sonos update I cannot start the Sonos Controller on my iPad with iOS 9.3.5. (it's an older iPad and iOS 9.3.5 is the most recent iOS for that device). I can start Sonos controller on my iPhone iOS 11.0.3 and then the iPad with iOS 9.3.5. picks that up and I can then continue to use the iPad with Sonos controller to choose music and so on. Not a huge thing and I have a work around but something is not working as it should, the Sonos 8.1 Software release notes say iOS 9 and higher. Can you let me know how to fix the problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

129 replies

I have the same issue. Sonos in their infinite wisdom have decide to no longer offer the sonos controller on IOS 9.3.5.
This is surely not acceptable. Why do Sonos not give users the choice of whether they upgrade or not? This is the response I have received from Sonos.

Thank you for contacting Sonos. My name is Eon, and I'll be helping you with your iOS question.

The reason we don't give an update for devices on iOS 9.3.5, is that Apple does not support those devices. The devices on iOS 9.3.5 hardware architectures and a less powerful 1.0 GHz CPU that Apple has deemed insufficiently powerful enough to even run the basic, barebones features of iOS 10, iOS 11 or iOS 12. Due to this, we had to follow in suit, just like other companies that make apps with Apple, too stop giving updates since Apple stopped supporting devices.

Also, if we're to keep updating iOS devices on 9.3.5, there will be an issue that they will start to struggle to handle what we require from them a few due to the hardware and software architecture age.

Do you happen to have another device that you can use Sonos with?

We will pass along to the development team, to make sure that there is some kind of warning message if, there will be a type of iOS or OS limit or end of support message for customers.

If you have any other issues, please don't hesitate to give us a call or reply back to this email.

I have replied to Sonos and an waiting for their response.
Userlevel 2
Why don't Sonos just leave an old version on Appstore ?.. Philips do that to support their users. !!!
Why don't Sonos just leave an old version on Appstore ?.. Philips do that to support their users. !!!

Because the controller is part of a integral system of software and hardware, and the old versions stop working after 2 or 3 updates to the hardware.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Because the controller is part of a integral system of software and hardware, and the old versions stop working after 2 or 3 updates to the hardware.

One certain way to avoid the update chaos is to just switch off all sonos devices, sell if possible, and switch to another user-friendly system.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Unbelievable!! I've already had to replace my ageing iPad Gen 1 once due to this. I was quite happy with it as a Sonos controller as that is all it did propped up in the Kitchen. Now I have to replace my Gen 3! And to cite that they are worried that the older iPads are not up to the task. It's not like the Sonos app is particularly resource hungry!!:@
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

One certain way to avoid the update chaos is to just switch off all sonos devices, sell if possible, and switch to another user-friendly system.

That's a bit over reaction lol . Less dramatic way is to segregate your system similar to the people running the cr100. Details are in this thread https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index1.html

Or just embrace the updates, buy new hardware regularly (new phone and iPad (pro) every year or two) .
I also have the same problem. It seems that Sonos should have simply skipped updates for iOS < 10, which they did not. The iPad has not changed, the hardware has NOT changed, jgatle, and Sonos broke their own product by updating blindly and carelessly, without making a check on the version. Having made the mistake, they do not provide a way to rectify it.
I also have the same problem. It seems that Sonos should have simply skipped updates for iOS < 10, which they did not. The iPad has not changed, the hardware has NOT changed, jgatle, and Sonos broke their own product by updating blindly and carelessly, without making a check on the version. Having made the mistake, they do not provide a way to rectify it.

The firmware on the hardware most certainly did change, and the hardware is useless without the firmware.

Something which you refuse to do, even after your frequent and repeated complaints. So despite the fact you pimp the long extinct Squeezebox every chance you can, it seems you just can't give up on Sonos.
Userlevel 2
So why don’t you just limit the functionality for old controllers like iPad and iPhones. All we need is basic functionality !! Or do you have a secret agreement with Apple to force user to upgrade the hardware ?? The sensible way to treat you customers is to let them choose if and when they want to upgrade their systems. ??
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Something which you refuse to do, even after your frequent and repeated complaints. So despite the fact you pimp the long extinct Squeezebox every chance you can, it seems you just can't give up on Sonos.

I never mentioned the other system - you did! Thanks.

My complaints are frequent because Sonos presents these updates without warning. I don't need recently played - so why must I update?
So why don’t you just limit the functionality for old controllers like iPad and iPhones. All we need is basic functionality !! Or do you have a secret agreement with Apple to force user to upgrade the hardware ?? The sensible way to treat you customers is to let them choose if and when they want to upgrade their systems. ??

They have done this, but they can't do it forever. Controllers in the past have had limited functions with some older mobile OS versions. For instance, 10.0:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/software/release/10-0

Operating systems iOS 9 and Android 4.4 are now partially supported by the Sonos App. Devices running iOS 9 or Android 4.4 can still browse, search and play music using this version of the Sonos app. Less common tasks like adding new speakers, modifying music services, or setting up a new Sonos system require Android 5.0 or higher, or iOS 10 or higher.

It seems there was a big cutoff for this particular release, because there are no older OS versions that are partially supported.

My complaints are frequent because Sonos presents these updates without warning. I don't need recently played - so why must I update?

Once again - YOU DON'T HAVE TO UPDATE!!!!!!!

There was guy here who kept his system at 4.0 for years. Nothing forced him to update, and nothing is forcing you.
Userlevel 2
Argh. If I don’t add new speakers and other equipment or need truetone and other stuff my system would be perfectly fine with version 9xx of the firmware and controller for iOS 9.3.5 for example.. I have payed for the hardware so I should have the choice to upgrade firmware and controller etc. Or NOT. It doesn’t say on the box that the system will only function for xx software releases. What happens when Sonos add some crazy feature that my play 1 doesn’t support ? Do I have to throw it out !? I really don’t care about the new features. My system performed fine in October So please let me have the option to downgrade to that combination of firmware and controller versions. !!
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Once again - YOU DON'T HAVE TO UPDATE!!!!!!!

There was guy here who kept his system at 4.0 for years. Nothing forced him to update, and nothing is forcing you.

So why can't I switch off the blasted Update Icon/item ?

So why can't I switch off the blasted Update Icon/item ?

You can't because Sonos wants you to update. If it bothers you so much that you have to get rid of it, that's your problem. I suggest a nice cup of chamomile.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Or a bottle of mother's ruin? More my taste, these days 😃
This is pathetic. We have ipad minis in all rooms and installed them in the walls. They are NOT THAT OLD!! They are all running 9.3.5 and Sonos is telling us we need to replace all of them? Not good PR.

That's a bit over reaction lol . Less dramatic way is to segregate your system similar to the people running the cr100. Details are in this thread https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index1.html

Or just embrace the updates, buy new hardware regularly (new phone and iPad (pro) every year or two) .

Ridiculous answer. not everybody can just buy new technology, and why should they if it still works perfectly in all other aspects. there should be an older version available that does work with older devices
Userlevel 2
Badge
My iPads stopped working yesterday with Sonos, bit of a bummer as I have a few around the house for automation all nicely dressed in Launchport charging shells. Went to eBay this morning and picked up some used Mini 2's to fix the issue. To be honest my Mini's were dead slow and sometimes almost useless running iOs 9.
Badge
I have the same issue. I was using my old iPad iOS 9.3.5 just for Sonos music until this last update. This is a little disappointing, but guess I'll just have to use my iMac or iPhone 😠
Understand you should not upgrade but when you have a family doing it, we have no choice. it is costing me more in devices to use the system than all the equipment. I have 11 zones, 4 CT100's, 4 iPads for starters. i only want to press play. 10 years down the drain. Not happy
Found a partial workaround for playing Spotify music on Sonos. The Spotify app will still let you select the Sonos speakers as output channel. You can control all the playback features from Spotify app. For now. Just wont install & link new speakers but you can use your phone for that.
Badge
I have encountered the same problem in that my iPad with ios 9.3.5 will no longer run the Sonos app. I am appalled that Sonos can't just leave those with this version of the software as is. All they would have to do is read which version the machine has and then state that you have the latest version for this ios. SIMPLE. MANY OTHER APP DEVELOPERS DO THIS.

My BBC apps, ITV, S4C, Sky, Radio and podcast apps are all still working.

Why not just offer a very simple select and play type mini app with none of the bells an whistles that will work on even the lowest spec tablet/phone.

SONOS. IF YOU WON'T DO THIS THEN LET SOMEBODY IN THE COMMUNITY PUT IT RIGHT!!!!!!!
Are you joking me, fix the problem so that we can use our devices without being forced to purchase new ones