Sonos controller problem on iOS 9.3.5

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

129 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Why don't Sonos just leave an old version on Appstore ?.. Philips do that to support their users. !!!

Because the controller is part of a integral system of software and hardware, and the old versions stop working after 2 or 3 updates to the hardware.

One certain way to avoid the update chaos is to just switch off all sonos devices, sell if possible, and switch to another user-friendly system.
Why don't Sonos just leave an old version on Appstore ?.. Philips do that to support their users. !!!

Because the controller is part of a integral system of software and hardware, and the old versions stop working after 2 or 3 updates to the hardware.
Userlevel 2
I have the same issue. Sonos in their infinite wisdom have decide to no longer offer the sonos controller on IOS 9.3.5.
This is surely not acceptable. Why do Sonos not give users the choice of whether they upgrade or not? This is the response I have received from Sonos.

Thank you for contacting Sonos. My name is Eon, and I'll be helping you with your iOS question.

The reason we don't give an update for devices on iOS 9.3.5, is that Apple does not support those devices. The devices on iOS 9.3.5 hardware architectures and a less powerful 1.0 GHz CPU that Apple has deemed insufficiently powerful enough to even run the basic, barebones features of iOS 10, iOS 11 or iOS 12. Due to this, we had to follow in suit, just like other companies that make apps with Apple, too stop giving updates since Apple stopped supporting devices.

Also, if we're to keep updating iOS devices on 9.3.5, there will be an issue that they will start to struggle to handle what we require from them a few due to the hardware and software architecture age.

Do you happen to have another device that you can use Sonos with?

We will pass along to the development team, to make sure that there is some kind of warning message if, there will be a type of iOS or OS limit or end of support message for customers.

If you have any other issues, please don't hesitate to give us a call or reply back to this email.

I have replied to Sonos and an waiting for their response.