Skip to main content
After i installed the latest update i can no longer connect to Sonos. Tried all the steps with no luck.
I tried to update to 8.5.1 but was given an "Error 30" and the controller no longer saw my Play 5 (Gen 2). If I disconnected the Play 5 I was able to perform the update, but the Play 5 still wouldn't connect. The Play 5 has worked fine for nearly 2 years prior. Any thoughts?
Try plugging the Play:5 by Ethernet cable into your router and try the update.
I solved my issue. The catV cable unseated and was not making a good connection. Looked connected visually but was out enough to break the connection.
Always good news
Tried the Play 5 directly into the router with no success. This all happened during the attempt to update to 8.5.1.
What happens with the play:5 connected direct to the router?
It shows the Play 5 in the controller window but with "Software Update Required" just beneath it. If I try to update, it still gives me the error 30 message. I can select other rooms/speakers in the controller and they play just fine. If I go to About Sonos it shows the app running the current update 8.5.1, but I can't connect to the Play 5 and play from it.
First - delete the Sonos app from your phone. Install the sonos app back using app store (that way we know the controller itself is not locked up somehow). Then pick the update now - which will attempt the speaker update portion.
No luck (but but the controller on both of my PC's and tablet have the same problem--they show "Software Update Required" beneath the Play 5 as well).
Do you have any other Sonos speakers?
No, just the Play 5. I have multiple bridges, a Play Bar, and 5 zones throughout the home--all working fine. It was all set up by a home theater/security company. I added the Play 5 about 2 years ago and never had any issues with it until now. I appreciate all of your help. I sent a message to Sonos that requested a diagnostics, so did run that and submit it to Sonos--hopefully I can get this to work out...
so answe isn’t no - you do have other Sonos speakers.

Ok then I would try a factory reset then of the play:5 and add it back to system