Skip to main content

Sonos app fails completely on Google Pixel 8

• 18 July 2024
  • 9 replies

I was very unhappy with the last update to the app because of the missing features already mentioned by everyone. Now the app is completely dead. I have tried usual fixes such as rebooting my router, all connected devices, looking for updates to Android and Sonos, but the app will not open. Instead it appears momentarily and gives an error message. The app does not work on my Samsung tablet either. My only access to Sonos has become my laptop computer. I have invested thousands in Sonos products and am looking for other options. What are comparable products I can use to stream my home music library?

9 replies

Userlevel 1

Same problem but on a different Samsung (S10+). Updated the speakers last night but didn't play anything afterwards. Today the App is crashing with a message: "Sonos closed because this app has a bug". Understatement of the year...

It’s a bug in the firmware update. Thank you for your service in alpha testing Sonos🤣 if you reboot all your players and then don’t use your local music library you should avoid the bug 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @caseyfast and @Deego, here’s a ‘splainer for the latest snafu …

Userlevel 1

@press250 Thanks for that. Saved me from wasting more time rebooting things, reinstalling apps etc.  I only use the library so that's a pain in the hole - as now to be expected.  I'm off to try and borrow an iPad...

@press250 you're right. Thanks. Mostly I play only my local music library so I am unhappy. Borrowed an iPad with an old OS and it works okay. Sonos has screwed us.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@press250 you're right. Thanks. Mostly I play only my local music library so I am unhappy. Borrowed an iPad with an old OS and it works okay. Sonos has screwed us.

I’m in the same situation. Android update screwed up music library function on my Pixel 8. Don’t want to sit on the patio with a laptop, so I use an iPad so old that the Sonos app won’t update, and it works as a lifeline to my music library. I agree. Sonos has screwed us - AGAIN.

Just to add….

Although the issue with Android allegedly started with the Sonos 16.3 firmware upgrade/update (whichever term you prefer) it should be noted that resolving the issue can sometimes be a two-way street. Oh…BTW thanks @press250 for providing the workaround. 😊

I’m an iOS user;  however, “dot x” (00.0.X) fixes are sometimes pushed out by the owner of the OS for the device upon which the app is residing. Apple does so (on occasion) for apps that are deemed popular by a significant number of users after an investigation that the app API is correct in all relevant respects but the current iOS is not liking it. Bare in mind I said for a significant number of users of the same app. 

My point is rather than add fuel to the fire that that Sonos firmware version 16.3 bares complete at fault responsibility to push out a firmware update (16.3.1 or 16.4)  it may occur with Android instead. 

Just food for thought 🤔

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Same here.

What is connected works with lags 

What's not connected will never connect ever again

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

My point is rather than add fuel to the fire that that Sonos firmware version 16.3 bares complete at fault responsibility to push out a firmware update (16.3.1 or 16.4)  it may occur with Android instead. 

In a purely technical sense I agree with you @AjTrek1 : the Android app is crashing due to memory corruption bug. That is not an idle opinion, btw, I looked up the “[appname] closed because the app has a bug” error message in the Android operating system developer documentation. The problem is absolutely not some years-long-latent bug in the Android operating system. The bug will (hopefully!) be fixed in the next release of the Sonos Android app (it’s possible this is the cause of the push to 22 July).

The Android app has not changed for weeks and this memory corruption was never seen until some of us were silly enough to install the v16.3 firmware. Many of us confirmed that the Android app started crashing immediately after than firmware update. So it is perfectly reasonable to say that the v16.3 firmware ‘triggered’ the snafu.

All indications from Sonos confirm the above. The mods confirmed the bug was ticketed and they even made my topic ‘sticky’ which is certainly a first for me. 😉