Answered

Sonos App built in support for High-res music

• 31 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I am looking to get clearity on the Sonos APP and quality of stream.

Current Setup: I have Sonos Arc, the Sub, and Sonos Arc, added to this I have also setup Sonos App.

Laptop - Macbook Air M2,

Mobile: iPhone 13 Max Pro / iPad

Desktop: Windows 11 - connected to wired network via Ethernet (wired).

I subscribe to: Tidal, Bandcamp

With both Bandcamp and tidal i have the option to go high-res so i had following question:

Does the Sonos App support Hi-res qualitry stream from both Tidal and or Bandcamp?

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 1 November 2023, 00:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Tidal is supported up to 16/44.1. (See here)

Bandcamp is supported at “standard quality audio” which I take to mean lossy. (See here)

Sonos supports 24-bit in local files and on selected services (Amazon, Qobuz to name a couple), but doesn’t support anything above 48kHz sampling rate.

@ratty 

Thank you for the prompt response, when you say local files?  How would you play this back to the Sonos app? I have both Flac (baught from Bandcamp) and (ALAC) again bandcamp. Can you please let me know how to play this back localy?

The local library option. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/supported-audio-formats-for-sonos-music-library

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just an quick tip, the App does not play your sounds, it is just a controller for the speakers/devices that do play it.

Using the music library works really well here for my ripped to FLAC CD copies.

@Stanley_4

Thank you for sharing! I encountered a challenge with the app.

It's disheartening to note that, after 3 years, Sonos has yet to release an ARM-based version of the software, and I'm required to use "Rosetta."

It appears that the "Update Library" feature is quite unstable on macOS Sonoma 14.1. The issue I encountered was that this function did not work as expected. I added M4A files that I had downloaded from Bandcamp, but they were not showing up in my local library. However, after removing the folder and reintroducing it, the problem was resolved for now. (i did try several time “Update Library”.

@ratty 

Thanx for the tips and links. They worked wonders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The App doesn’t do the indexing either, it just tells one of the players to update it and pass the update to the rest of the system.

Sonos seems to be focusing almost all development on the Apple and Android tablet/phone versions.