Skip to main content

I’ve always enjoyed and got on well with my Sonos equipment, which I would hope as I’ve invested a lot of money in it over the last 6 years.

However, more recently, almost every time I use the app, it fails to pick up multiple speakers (I have 7 speakers and 1 Playbar in 5 rooms) until eventually they appear. I’m also a bit fed up with the connection dropping regularly 

Agreed, I’m in the same boat I have over 8 devices and experience the same issues with speakers dropping in and out, volume adjustment delays, grouping issues. @Sonos please resolve!

Seems more like an issue with your network, rather than the Sonos. I’ve had Sonos for more than 10 years, and with some care and dedication to keeping my network signal clean, I’ve not experienced any issue. 

With no information about your particulars, there’s some generic suggestions. First, read the wifi interference FAQ and apply as many of the potentials there as may apply. In my home, with around 18 or so devices, I’ve found a ‘wired’ setup to work the best. All that required is a single Sonos device to we directly connected to my router with an Ethernet cable. In my case, I started with a BRIDGE, but upgraded to a BOOST when I saw reports of the common failure point of the BRIDGE’s power supply. I was also enticed by the BOOST’s newer WiFi signal, increased interference rejection, and SonosNet 2.0. 

At an early point, I had similar issues with rooms disappearing from my system, that turned out to be an issue with my router handing out duplicate IP addresses when my Sonos rebooted after an update. Easily rectified by figuring out how to assign reserved IP addresses in my router. Still don’t know why the router failed in that manner, but I do take more care now to keep the router’s software up to date, and reboot it every other month in case there’s any issue.

The network in your home isn’t static, unfortunately. It would be great if we could just set it once and walk away. Unfortunately, with neighbor’s new networks, devices not being kept up to date, there’s always the potential for ‘change’ completely out of your control.

In the meantime, if none of the advice I’ve written here is of any help, perhaps you could provide a bit more information about your specific setup, when you contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it. They’re extremely helpful in figuring out what can be done to assist in individual situations.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7. 

Thanks for the advice. It’s not really practical to hardwire a speaker into the router as the router is in a different room. Strangely, the connection seems more reliable from the iPad app than the phone app

Yea, I’m in a similar situation, which is why I went with a BOOST rather than a speaker, although either works.

Don’t forget, the controller app is only a remote control, the real application playing the music is running on the computer in each speaker. Unless you’re using AirPlay 2 to send a signal from your iOS device to the speakers, there shouldn’t (well, can’t) be any difference on which one you use. I guess there’s the slight possibility of your body being in a different position absorbing the WiFi signal that the speaker is using to connect to your router, and from there out to the stream is always possible, but highly unlikely. 

christopher.murgatroyd,

Submit a diagnostic immediately after you experience one of these issues. SONOS Support can check for wireless issues.

Sonos, please regard the broken record that is your support script.

ME: “My sonos doesn’t play all speakers or skips very often. I’ve called many times but you always tell me its my network and I that I should reboot my router and Google mesh even though I have extremely high speed and have the Boost.”

SUPPORT: “I see from your diagnostic that your internet router is slow, that’s the problem.” Or, “I see conflicts with the channels you’re on. Please reboot your router and wifi hotspots.”

ME: “But I can’t change Google mesh channels and when I put Sonos all on a new channel, nothing gets better or it gets fixed for a day or two.”

SUPPORT: “You probably need to reboot every couple of weeks and get faster internet.”

ME: “But I’m playing a local file and I have 400Mbps.”

Call eventually ends and if I call again, I get the same sequence, each time with me regretting that I bought 10 Sonos 1’s for a 3000 sq foot mostly open apartment. BUYER BEWARE! Despite the launch of a new app (S2) which has the result as the old (S1) app, Sonos is still ignoring a completely fundamental flaw in the engineering of their system.