Answered

Sonos access to OneDrive Music Folder

• 14 December 2019
  • 38 replies

Show first post

38 replies

Badge

Google did much the same thing. I am just hoping that Sonos never removes the Local music service as I’m old school and still buy CDs as i like to own the music I’ve bought. 

Me too. I like to own the music, plus I think half of my CD’s have music that you cannot possibly find anywhere else. I mean: I bought a CD in Turkey with Turkish music from the 70’s as a souvenir of a great vacation. Try and find that somewhere!!

So it is either my Music Library on NAS (Synology working well, so far, much better than Buffalo) or -the ideal scenario- my music folder on OneDrive, so that I do not have to worry about backups, and the inevitable mechanical failures of the Synology drive etc. etc.

What is Sonos waiting for?

Badge

A really smart guy named Michael Dick developed a tool that let’s you connect OneDrive to Sonos.  I can’t seem to find it right now.

It worked bit when I tried it I lost the connection when my computer restarted.  I’ll have to try again.

See https://michaeldick.me/

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Michael Dick’s solution worked for me, legend, and he’s super responsive.

Userlevel 2

This is awesome massive Kudos to Michael Dick - OneDrive for Sonos (michaeldick.me)

Midi s answer did not wrk for me. It took ages to type it all in correctly then I pressed enter and th enter et came back with the word ERROR. Really peeved as I can’t play my music library ,only amazons 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Got Michael Dick’s solution working. One Drive is huge and it’s ridiculous Sonos does not support it natively. Silly hoops and hurdles nonetheless super pleased Michael made a solution. I’m going to send him a few bucks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Got Michael Dick’s solution working. One Drive is huge and it’s ridiculous Sonos does not support it natively. Silly hoops and hurdles nonetheless super pleased Michael made a solution. I’m going to send him a few bucks. 

Its up to Microsoft to do that, not Sonos, and they turned this off when they killed Groove, their music service. No music service, no legal rights to stream.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Got it. I’ll blame Microsoft then. :) Thank you. It’s ridiculous that the powers that be make it difficult to play your own music that you’ve already paid for. Playing a song on Sonos from your One Drive should be a simple and normal thing they’d want to accommodate considering I’m paying them a monthly free and I’m assuming they’re prefer I keep doing that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Got it. I’ll blame Microsoft then. :) Thank you. It’s ridiculous that the powers that be make it difficult to play your own music that you’ve already paid for. Playing a song on Sonos from your One Drive should be a simple and normal thing they’d want to accommodate considering I’m paying them a monthly free and I’m assuming they’re prefer I keep doing that. 

You would think it is simple, but it is very much the opposite. Streaming music, from OneDrive or anywhere else, is a legal nightmare. Technically it i easy enough, and you have found someone who has done that for you. However it is technically against the OneDrive Terms of Service and likely contradicts copyright law in your country.

You mean it isn’t ‘just a few lines of code’?

;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You mean it isn’t ‘just a few lines of code’?

;)

The code is the easy bit :-)

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

It seems you have to grant access from the OneDrive for Sonos App to your OneDrive, I assume that allows read access for all files on your OneDrive, not just music files?

Recently ran into this myself and put together a small app to connect Sonos to OneDrive directly.

Take a look at https://michaeldick.me/sonos-onedrive/

Cheers

This was, in a word, money.  Thanks for taking the time to code this...