SMB2 (or SMB3) support must be supported NOW!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
We are writing summer 2019 and still Sonos only supports SMB version 1 for the Music Library share.

This is not acceptable.

A file share running SMB1 is extremely vulnerable to all the variants of cryptolocker virus that exists today. File share servers (NAS, Windows, Apple OS) can only support one version of SMB - so you cannot from the same box have one file share (for Sonos) using SMB1 and the other file shares using SMB2 or SMB3. This way Sonos puts each and every file share at serious risc - just because they don’t update their file share protocol to comply with this century.

And for the record - the “solution” through PLEX is not a solution. Unstable at best.

281 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’ll just add my 2 cents, and say “me too” - I also have an extensive NAS-based media collection which I’d like to be able to play with my Sonos gear (without resorting to SMB1).

I can serve it all up via Plex, but I’d also much prefer a (simple) http solution - it’s a pretty trivial amount of code for Sonos to write, they already have lots of HTTP handling in their code, so have all the libraries in place. They now just need the will to do it.

Requiring SMB1 as a pre-requisite to play local music ought to be illegal. It’s at the very least amateur-hour hobby-kit level of operation - not something a premium brand should be anywhere near.

I thought additional SMB support has been around for a while:

I’ll just add my 2 cents, and say “me too” - I also have an extensive NAS-based media collection which I’d like to be able to play with my Sonos gear (without resorting to SMB1).

I can serve it all up via Plex, but I’d also much prefer a (simple) http solution - it’s a pretty trivial amount of code for Sonos to write, they already have lots of HTTP handling in their code, so have all the libraries in place. They now just need the will to do it.

Requiring SMB1 as a pre-requisite to play local music ought to be illegal. It’s at the very least amateur-hour hobby-kit level of operation - not something a premium brand should be anywhere near.

Nice rant.  Too bad it's about 2 and a half years past its expiration date.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello everyone, thanks to the introduction of our S2 platform, we've now added support for SMBv3. Sonos S2 devices will use the highest version of SMB supported by your NAS device. To access this update, you may need to manually change the configuration of your NAS device.

@Ralph Bolton 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Baa! I’m still on S1 :-(

Yes, I know S1 isn’t getting updates, but it’s still a shame it can’t be getting security updates.

Baa! I’m still on S1 :-(

Yes, I know S1 isn’t getting updates, but it’s still a shame it can’t be getting security updates.

The kernel S1 is built on predates SMB 2, and there's no way to update the kernel given the memory limit.

If you update your SONOS system to S2, it will be able to use SMB2 or SMB3..