Show the Composer tag on the Now Playing screen

• 31 August 2012
  • 70 replies

The Now Playing widget shows Album, Artist and track title. It doesn't show the Composer name, even though Sonos has this information in its indices. Many classical albums are a composite program of works by various composers. When a track is queued, or playing, there is no way whatsoever to discover who the composer is. The titles given to classical works often give little clue; eg. "String Quartet No. 8 in E minor, Op 59.2: I. Allegro" ... pick the composer? It is very disappointing that this feature hasn't been implemented after 5+ years of requests from customers who enjoy classical music. I can't see why it isn't self evident that feature is required. In most instances a Sonos improves upon playing music from a physical cd; ie. I don't have to find it, and then put it away. This is an instance where the use of a Sonos degrades the experience; ie. I am listening to something, but I can't tell what it is, as I have no longer have access to the cover.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

70 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm not sure.  They used to.  A while back, I sent them a support request with this thread as a link.  Does anyone else fancy doing this?
I'm not sure.  They used to.  A while back, I sent them a support request with this thread as a link.  Does anyone else fancy doing this?
I live in hope that they are quietly addressing the problem and want to surprise us...
Beautiful dreamer 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Go on...someone be brave and contact tech support.  If I do it again they'll groan 🙂
Hello Mozart, yes I will do so.  What about others? What if we all bombard tech support?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Bombard. Good plan! Let's do it!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm in... How do we contact tech support?
Yes. I'll contact tech support. If we all do it, maybe they will take a little bit of notice before ignoring the issue...
Yes. I'll contact tech support. If we all do it, maybe they will take a little bit of notice before ignoring the issue...
www.sonos.com/support
Sonos technical support has responded positively. We'll just have to wait and see... "Thank you for contacting Sonos Customer Care. You are correct that this is one of our more popular requests from our classical music listeners. While you are already in the right place on the website to submit feedback, I am going to forward this along to our design team as a feature request as well. Any news or updates on this feature will be announced on the thread you have linked."
People power!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks everyone!
Userlevel 1
I am also missing this very much. I suggest an option under settings for -Show composer in "Now Playing"-  those of us who want and need it can turn it on and those that don't can leave it off.  Sonos already indexes the composer tag so I don't see how this could affect the amount of information that Sonos need to store, it is simply a matter of tweaking the controller software. 
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Andrew.  Any chance you could contact tech support to request this?  Think the more that ask them directly, the more chance it will be implemented 🙂
Mega +1 This is the only enhancement I'm focussed on. Please Sonos. Step up to it. I'm an IT programmer. If you don't want to drawn user experience with Flow of tags you just have to add a personalization option and let the user choose... This is not a Big deal !
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
To be honest I'm getting a bit fed up with Sonos ignoring this one......
To be honest I'm getting a bit fed up with Sonos ignoring this one......
Each time I receive an email about upgrades I get excited... but not for long!  Sonos, do you care about this issue? See Mega+1 comments above!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Just emailed support again. 
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I included a link to this thread which their helpdesk system stripped out.  Awesome!
Maintain the rage and contact support everyone.  I'm going to contact helpdesk again too...
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Thank you for Your feedback and thank you for playing at "Find the missing feature"...
A few months back, I contacted Sonos customer support about this issue, and they agreed to put this forward as a feature in a future revision. However, this has not happened. Please contact them again. The more people who do, the more lilely it is to happen.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I got his back from TS:

Thank you for your enhancement request.

While not all requests are added to a release they are all helpful in determining the direction of future releases.

I have just asked SONOS to show the composer in the "now playing" display and sonos directed me to this thread.

I ripped my CD collection and added the composer of every song. It would be great to see this information again. As it is now I can search the composer, but I can't easily see who composed the tune I am listening to.
I have just asked SONOS to show the composer in the "now playing" display and sonos directed me to this thread.

I ripped my CD collection and added the composer of every song. It would be great to see this information again. As it is now I can search the composer, but I can't easily see who composed the tune I am listening to.

Andreas - welcome to our sad bunch...