Skip to main content

Can someone explain to me the logic behind the annoying “feature” S2 app has that wakes up my PC every time a new piece of music starts playing?
I explain. I have S2 running on my PC. I select a station I want to play. Then I put my PC to sleep (so it turns my computer and the monitors off so it doesn’t use energy) and go downstairs to do my stuff or to stay with my friends. The music plays and the moment a new song comes on, my computers comes out of sleep mode and is “ready” for something. 

I was told once by support guy that this is so in case you want to change the music, it’s already there. Why on Earth I want this to be ready if I’m downstairs (or far away) from the machine? Do they know that people can do the same from their phone app?

It’s just plain stupid and a waste of energy. My PC has some LED lights so I can’t use it when I want to have a relaxing nap. I have to make sure that I shutdown the app first before putting my PC to sleep.

So annoying.

Anyone has the same problem?

Why not just close the Sonos app if you are done using it and want the Windows system to stay in sleep?

I have never seen this in all my years of using a PC with Sonos.

Why not just close the Sonos app if you are done using it and want the Windows system to stay in sleep?

Well, there should be no need to remember to do this action. It’s a computer after all and the app should know that if I want the PC to sleep, I want it to stay that way. It doesn’t mean that I want it to wake up when the next song comes on. It’s just bad app design. If there was a setting for that, that would be great.

Next time it wakes up, run cmd.exe and type powercfg /lastwake and it will tell you why it woke up.

I have never seen this in all my years of using a PC with Sonos.

You mean, it doesn’t happen to you? I would understand if I was playing music from the hard drive. Yes, the computer needs to be active but I’m using the streamer only which can work independently. 

The S2 is only a controller just like the mobile app. Imagine your phone app being constantly activated for the same reason? It doesn’t happen there.

I’m just hoping that someone from Sonos support could see this post and be able to shine some light on it because the support person I was talking to had no idea and didn’t find it unusual. 

Next time it wakes up, run cmd.exe and type powercfg /lastwake and it will tell you why it woke up.

I think it’s the streamer doing it the same way I would use the keyboard to wake it up. I got this output:

powercfg /lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History y0]
  Wake Source Count - 1
  Wake Source r0]
    Type: Device
    Instance Path: PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_2600&SUBSYS_26001A56&REV_21\4&b6027c0&0&00E0
    Friendly Name: Killer E2600 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Description: Killer E2600 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Manufacturer: Killer

Disable Wake-On-LAN on that adapter. 

Disable Wake-On-LAN on that adapter. 

THANK YOU ratty and controlav for your amazing help. The problem’s solved. 

In my case, my adapter doesn’t have WOL enable/disable. It has only Value 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps First. I didn’t change it but in ‘Power Management’ I only enabled the last option ‘Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer’. This works. I could probably uncheck the ‘Allow this device...’ 

At least I know where to look at if I have problems of this sort again.

Again, thank you so much guys. 

I wonder what is sending the magic packet? Do you have a Roam or a Move? I thought they were the only devices to use WOL, but maybe not. And even then, the Sonos app only sends those specific devices a WOL packet. Unless you are maybe running a media server or something on the PC, or it thinks you are. Do you have “Show media servers” or “Show upnp servers” options enabled?

The PC was evidently set to wake on ANY directed packet. With the controller still subscribed, the system would have been sending periodic event notifications. 

I think you got me wrong. I said that I set to allow ONLY a magic packet to wake the computer knowing that I most likely won’t have anything currently configured to do such thing and therefore I’m safe. I don’t have and don’t expect any magic packets. 

But, if it happens (for some reason), I can disable that option altogether in the ‘Advanced’ tab.

I only have ‘Sonos Connect’ streamer btw.

The PC was evidently set to wake on ANY directed packet. With the controller still subscribed, the system would have been sending periodic event notifications. 

That was the case I’m pretty sure.

As to ‘periodic event notifications’, they were not periodic in a sense of either random or with a constant interval. They were exactly at the end (or at the beginning) of each music piece. And it was not because there was a sound/signal gap between them. Sometimes the music is mixed together that only human ear could distinguish that this is a new piece and yet, the PC would wake up at that very moment.

Probably you know it, from the technical point of view, but it looks like each of these segments must be coded somehow to trigger this wakeup event.

I should’ve probably added that I started having this issues right after I switched my PCs. I had Win7 before and this one was Win10 and now is Win11. But I don’t think this has anything to do with it.

A track change would obviously trigger an event notification to any subscribed controllers. 

A track change would obviously trigger an event notification to any subscribed controllers. 

Yes, but surely when the PC sleeps, the Sonos app unsubscribes from all UPnP events? My apps do.

Yes, but surely when the PC sleeps, the Sonos app unsubscribes from all UPnP events? My apps do.

When the Sonos controller closes it should unsubscribe. It quite possibly doesn’t detect the power messages and do so if the PC suspends with the controller open. In that case it would presumably be down to the system to time out the subscriptions eventually.

I had to remove Sonos Playlists and remember to delete the queue when finished listening otherwise the  Sonos app causes my NAS drive to spin up every time you go on the My Sonos tab. 

There was no way to exclude the Sonos playlists from appearing on the tab so I just had to delete them. It’s been like this for ages and I’ve learned to get around the issue myself. 

Basically evert time I was on the My Sonos tab, the NAS drive was accessed because I had playlists on there so I assume it was fetching the album art or something like that.

I avoided the spin-up issue by moving my music to an SSD drive that was salvaged from a system that was being replaced. Silent, low power and not aggravating.

That’s not avoiding the spin-up issue, it’s just silencing it :)

My problem wasn’t with the noise, it was with the fact that my hard drive was being constantly accessed when not necessary.