Answered

S2 App Not Showing Track progress bar, Elapsed or Remaining Track Times

• 2 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello all,

See the title for the problem.  I’m playing a 3 hour long track from my NAS.  Yesterday evening, the track progress bar showed up, along with all the time info.  Today, apparently my system rebooted, and I attempted to play the same track, and I get no time or progress bar.  I used to think it was the tracks, but since it was working the previous day, and now it’s not, I suspect it’s some sort of problem with the S2 app.

I would have replied here: https://en.community.sonos.com/topic/show?tid=6842164&fid=228995 but that thread is closed.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 7 December 2022, 10:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @scottresnik 

Thanks for your post!

I would have assumed it was something to do with the 3 hour length too. Are you still able to see the remaining time and progress bar with much shorter tracks?

Either way, please go to Settings » System » About my System  and note the IP address of the “Associated Product”. Scroll down, and identify which device it is. Please reboot that device by removing power for a time, and reboot the room you were playing to too (if different).

If that does not resolve the issue, please post here a screenshot of the now playing screen with the details missing. Please also post the confirmation number resulting from submitting a support diagnostic while the track in question is playing. Thanks.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hello @Corry P ,

I just tried to go through the steps you mention, and the track time shows on the same specific track that it had stopped showing on when I opened this thread.  I thought I had narrowed it down to specific rooms in my system, but I can’t seem to reliably make it fail on any specific unit.  It just seems to happen randomly.  I’ve submitted diagnostics at 1008512410.  That’s after making multiple attempts with multiple tracks including the track I opened this topic about.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @scottresnik 

I think this might just be a communication issue between the app and your Sonos system. As the app knows basically nothing, all the info it shows is being fed to it by the Sonos system. When the data has trouble coming through, the app has nothing to show you.

Your Sonos system currently depends on the ethernet-wired Kitchen speaker. This makes the Kitchen the best room to put in charge of a group of rooms - especially a large group. I recommend you disband the current group that the Kitchen is involved in, select the Kitchen in the app, then group the other rooms to it.

I also see your Master Bedroom speakers have ethernet connections, but not to the network. Whatever devices you have connected to these speakers, I recommend you disconnect them.

Your Sonos system on WiFi channel 6, while your Ubiquiti system is using channels 1, 6 and 11. I recommend you restrict your WiFi from using channel 6.

Finally, there’s quite a lot of multicast packets on the network arriving at Kitchen which are not destined for Sonos, but are getting in the way of Sonos communications. Please enable IGMP Snooping and Multicast DNS in your Ubiquiti settings:

• From the Unifi Network Application interface, click on the Settings icon from the left side menu.
  • Click on the Network tab. 
  • Select the network Sonos is connected to. Click on the Default network name is there is only one. 
  • Scroll down to Advance Configuration, and click on Manual.
  • Check IGMP Snooping and Multicast DNS. 
  • Click on Apply Changes and allow up to 3 minutes for the settings to update.

*These instructions may be slightly out of date, but should suffice as a guide.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Your Sonos system currently depends on the ethernet-wired Kitchen speaker. This makes the Kitchen the best room to put in charge of a group of rooms - especially a large group. I recommend you disband the current group that the Kitchen is involved in, select the Kitchen in the app, then group the other rooms to it.

This makes sense.  I’ll make sure to try this in the future.

I also see your Master Bedroom speakers have ethernet connections, but not to the network. Whatever devices you have connected to these speakers, I recommend you disconnect them.

I have rebooted these speakers to attempt to get them to use the wired connection.  The port has link, but it appears the Sonos device (Play:1) prefers the wired connection.  Should I worry about that?

Your Sonos system on WiFi channel 6, while your Ubiquiti system is using channels 1, 6 and 11. I recommend you restrict your WiFi from using channel 6.

This is my fault.  I recently upgraded access points.  Normally I restrict channel 6 for Sonos.

Please enable IGMP Snooping and Multicast DNS in your Ubiquiti settings

I have enabled these settings in Ubiquiti.  I also turned off some auto tuning of wifi channels that was enabled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @scottresnik 

I have rebooted these speakers to attempt to get them to use the wired connection.  The port has link, but it appears the Sonos device (Play:1) prefers the wired connection.  Should I worry about that?

If it were one speaker, I could say that there might be an issue with it’s ethernet port, but would need to test to be sure. As two speakers are connected to ethernet and neither are using it, I think it far more likely that there’s an issue with whatever they are connected to - if it’s a switch, I’d be checking the switch’s power and ethernet connection to the router. If it’s a router repurposed as a switch, I’d check it’s configuration.

My concern was that there were third party devices using SonosNet bandwidth, but there aren’t. The signal the Master Bedroom has to the Kitchen is sufficient, though a little on the weak side. With the other changes you made, lets see if they behave on wireless.

I hope this helps.