Skip to main content
Question

S1 Sonos not recognizing Play 5 Gen 1 on Wifi Connection

• 23 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I have (2) Play 5 Gen 1 speakers on an Orbi mesh wifi network (Main router + 2 satellites)

Speaker #1 is connected to wifi satellite #1

Speaker #2 is connected to wifi satellite #2

Neither speaker is connected to the main router

In that configuration, I can see both speakers on the network, and stream music to both if I use the Pandora Music player app.  However, if I look for the speakers in the Sonos S1 Controller app, I can’t see Speaker #2.

If I move Speaker #2 closer to the main router such that it gets its wifi connection directly from the router then I can see both speakers in the S1 app.

Both speakers have been rebooted, and as I mention, I can see and play music on the speakers with other applications just not S1.

The reason why I care is that I’m trying to enable Alexa to stream music to the speakers but I think that b/c the S1 controller can’t see the speaker then Alexa is unable to use that S1 connection to stream the music. (no idea if this is true but it is my guess as I am able to stream music to Speaker #1 but can not get Alexa to stream music to Speak #2 when it is on Satellite #2).

Any help is much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

With any mesh system it’s usually best to run Sonos with one Sonos product wired to the primary mesh hub only - maybe see if that fixes the issue.

Also ensure the WiFi on any ISP provided router is switched off and perhaps try the three different SonosNet channels 1, 6 or 11 in the the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/Network’ to see which channel works best with your home environment. Give each channel an hour or so to settle before deciding and if it works, then leave that channel set in place.