Question

S1 Controller playback issues

• 26 July 2020
  • 8 replies

Since upgrading to S1 controller I have had a ton of playback issues.  Songs skip at random spots.  More skipping than playing in entirety.  My system was working perfectly well before the upgrade, now it is almost unbearable.  Anyone have this happen?  Anyone have a solution?  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Contend all you want. I’m merely suggesting that people have made the same observation with every software release since I joined this forum. In most cases, the solutions I’ve suggested have resolved the issue, for those who have bothered to report back.

However, you could be right, but unless you provide them with hard data to look at, your concerns are likely to be skimmed over. Hard data in the form of a diagnostic will go miles further with an engineer assigned to look at the issue. While I’m not a Sonos employee, I have worked in similar software situations, and can assure you most engineers will not pay much attention to anecdotal reports. 

I’d expect that much of this ‘slowness’ you speak of has more to do with either wifi interference, or potentially some duplicate IP address issues that happened due to the soft reboot process Sonos does of the speakers when updating the software. I’d certainly encourage you to try the instructions in my previous post, as well as reading the linked FAQ. While I only ran S1 for about a day before upgrading to S2, I didn’t notice any specific issues with it while I was using it. Which isn’t to say you’re not, just to suggest it may be more of a local issue, and not endemic to the software.

If it continues, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it, as I don’t think it’s a normal situation.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis. Certainly, hard data will be much more useful to them for tracking down the problem, more so than an anecdotal report. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I contend that the S1 app is a lot more buggy than the last iteration of the App. Response to commands from the Android App is poor, the PC Controller takes an age to open and connect sometimes saying it can't find my system. The system seems flakey. No problems before S1.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Anecdotal it maybe but I have had my Sonos System for 10 years plus and I know a little bit about getting it to perform properly. I doubt that Sonos is giving S1 a great deal of thought with the poor feedback they are getting from customers with the ARC/S2 combination.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Since S1 came out there’s a definite lag to my Sonos system. Still use a Connect as my main playback device so S2 is not an option.  Even just starting the app now there is a delay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The S1 app wasn’t really an upgrade, they just changed the name and the icon. The S2 app was the one with the real changes in it. Bruce’s advice to reboot your network seems like the best thing to do.

Try unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. When the router comes back up, plug the Sonos devices back in to power.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Having issues with S1 here as well. Particularly response times. Before the S1 ‘upgrade’ App activities (play, pause...) were relatively instantaneous. Now they can take up to 5 or 10 seconds. Frustrating and frankly does not make me want to continue with Sonos.

I realize that S2 is the way forward and S1 is relatively frozen (security updates only!?), but I would consider promoting Sonos again if they continue to have a great customer experience on their ‘older’ equipment. Not to do that is a major stumble for Sonos and will likely end up with long term customer defection and lower promotion. I recall telling all my friends who would listen that Sonos was amazing and the best way to bring music in to your home. I shouldn’t have to upgrade every few years to enjoy a reliable, enjoyable, well featured and responsive product.

I hope Sonos’ executives start to think about both the future and the present.