Skip to main content
Question

Public Address System

• 1 December 2017
  • 9 replies

I've looked around and found a few posts on this, but nothing seems to work. I want to speak into my android phone and hear my voice in real time through the sonos:1 speakers I just bought. Sonofy, Intercom, Sonos, and a host of other apps I've tried don't seem to do this. Is this at all possible? Am I going to have to ship these things back?
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I'm afraid it isn't possible.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Not what Sonos is about, sorry.

You'll need to get a proper PA system.
Thanks so much for your replies. It seems like such a simple extension of what is a much more
complex system. I guess the problem is the "real time" requirement and the delay through the router?
Oh well... guess I'll go get an RMA from the vendor.
Not sure. I'd normally say something about a processing delay on analog input, but an input from a phone may be digital. But the simple fact is that you're attempting to do something that the system isn't designed to do. Sonos is a "whole home music system".

You're much better off with a system that is designed for what you're trying to use it for.
I was hoping for something that could do both, but the PA is essential. Do you know of anything?
No, that's a feature I don't need, so I haven't done any research. I'd suggest a google search of "Android OS Public Address" and see what turns up.
Thanks for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
There are people that have written apps to create the functionality of a PA using your phone microphone and streaming it to Sonos... but the delay between when you talk and when you hear the audio gets annoying very quickly. I'm with Bruce... get a real PA system if you're looking for that functionality. Most PA systems have the ability to play music also... you just would need to connect your phone to it and play the music through an app on your phone.

I've seen some all-in-one PA speakers - amplifier, mic input, aux/line input, and even bluetooth - but they're pretty basic in terms of their audio capabilities. They're definitely geared more towards louder volume and not so much audio quality.
Thanks, Mike. Time to go shopping again.