Skip to main content

Plex and music library update

• 21 June 2024
  • 2 replies

Ok so I don’t understand the tech… but I am intelligent enough to know Sonos have made a huge error of judgement. 

The ridiculous update/new app whatever “lost” my music library - like a lot of other people it seems. 

Hours on the phone with Sonos (not including the HOURS waiting for someone to answer the call) fruitlessly trying to re-add my library (including them telling me it was Apple’s fault, which then involved 90 mins on the phone with Apple, who confirmed all my settings were fine and it should work) and then FINALLY someone senior at Sonos admitted it was the app …. and told me to try Plex. 

I’ve done this and it plays - BUT - here’s my question…

1. Recently added music in Itunes :  Because I can’t see My Library in Sonos, even though I click Update Library, it doesn’t seem to be doing it, and I can’t see if it is ? New additions don’t seem to be there ….
  1. Does Plex automatically copy an update in Sonos (supposing it works) or do I need to do something to Plex settings ? 

What a TOTAL bollocks this new app is. I have a lot of Sonos equipment which I saved hard to buy over many years and it seems Sonos are taking the piss, to be honest 

If anyone can help about the updating stuff I’d be really grateful

Thanks

2 replies

If you have added new music to the folders Plex uses for your music library, you need to trigger a scan in Plex in order to see and play the music in Plex on Sonos. 

You can configure Plex to scan at periodic intervals, automatically or manually.  Check this location on your server: Settings > Server > Library

More info on this here:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/200289306-scanning-vs-refreshing-a-library/

Also check out the app “Plex Amp” it’s a great app for playing music from Plex, if you have IOS device you can airplay to your Sonos and skip the crappy new app.  

Thanks ! Will take a look