Skip to main content

Hi

I play Spotify on my phone or laptop and stream this to the Sonos Beam (is also connected to hdmi arc connected to my Sony android tv). When I stream from Spotify directly to the Sonos setup everything is ok.

1. But when I play audio from the Sony android tv and play the Android tv app from Spotify it only plays the beam. And not the obeying the Sonos beam + stereo Sonos one group setup.  
  2.  Also the sound quality is also less on the beam only (android Spotify to Sonos beam).

I want to display the current song on my Sony in my house. And Spotify online displays a tiny rectangle

when I play and manage this from phone or laptop.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps see if moving the ‘TV level’ slider control over to the right in the Beams Room Settings… (see screenshot attached) as that should move the TV audio ‘stereo’ output over to the rear surrounds.

Perhaps see if moving the ‘TV level’ slider control over to the right in the Beams Room Settings… (see screenshot attached) as that should move the TV audio ‘stereo’ output over to the rear surrounds.

But Ken, that only applies if the source from the TV is surround sound, correct? If the Spotify app on android tv is playing stereo, than you’ll only hear the audio from the Beam.  

When you stream directly from online services to the room (either via the Sonos app or Spotify Connect), you have the option to play stereo on both the beam and your pair of surround speakers.  And unfortunately, when playing audio this way, there isn’t currently a way to display what’s playing on the TV.  There have been feature requests about this before, and rumors that Sonos is looking into integration with streaming video services somehow, so perhaps this will change one day.

But Ken, that only applies if the source from the TV is surround sound, correct? If the Spotify app on android tv is playing stereo, than you’ll only hear the audio from the Beam.  

When you stream directly from online services to the room (either via the Sonos app or Spotify Connect), you have the option to play stereo on both the beam and your pair of surround speakers.  And unfortunately, when playing audio this way, there isn’t currently a way to display what’s playing on the TV.  There have been feature requests about this before, and rumors that Sonos is looking into integration with streaming video services somehow, so perhaps this will change one day.

It works for me with my TV when playing PCM ‘stereo’ audio. Other options include switching off Trueplay and setting the speaker distance to more than 10ft (3m), even with stereo TV audio.

Yes, Danny, to my knowledge, that’s input based only. i.e. if it’s coming in through the digital input. It’s handled differently from streaming, and if you happen to have a Port with analog inputs, those are managed in a different manner. 

There is a way to get ‘what’s playing’ on the TV screen when streaming from the Spotify or the Sonos App on a mobile device and that is to use tunesmap:

https://www.tunesmap.com

But just easier to sometimes use the Spotify App built into the TV and the ‘TV Slider’ control to get the stereo audio on the surrounds, but I occasionally use the tunesmap App too installed on my Apple TV box and play to all HT speakers using ‘Full’ music playback.