Skip to main content

This may be buried in another topic, but a specific feature we’ve used for years is still missing from the latest July 22 app update (80.05.04): the ability to play or shuffle music from the a folder view of our local music library.

I used a shelved Play:1 and a backup iPad to create a second Sonos system in order to test today’s app update (with the latest firmware). I was not especially surprised to find that feature is still missing since it’s also missing from the web player. Those controls are available in the “Songs” view of the library, which suggests the developers may have decided to only provide the function in a view that has individual songs. Having them in the folder views was admittedly an inconsistency given that none of the other non-Songs views had them, but it was a very useful inconsistency for us.

This old capability is still missing from the August 6 app update (iOS version 08.06.03).

This old capability is still missing from the August 27 app update (iOS version 08.07.03).

+1 for me, mayor point of irritation.

Using folders for navigating my NAS as a Primary means it is horrible that (sub)folders can not be played or added to the queue (Android Mobile app).

Annoying enough, it does work in the Windows Desktop app, so the system is capable of this.

Hopefully this will be added soon!

I’m not as hopeful, but we’ll see. It’s something of a “niche within a niche” as features go. But it’s also the main way we use our library. That’s especially true of my wife, and she’s an iPad user rather than a PC user, so the deprecated Windows app isn’t much help.

The SonoPad app supports this usage--even for updated speakers--but it’s a landscape-only app and those drive my wife batty.

Today’s version 80.09.05 for iOS has not restored this function.