play 1 surround speakers no sound when tv channel plays

• 13 October 2014
  • 4 replies

I have no sound coming from my play 1 surround speakers when thebtv is playing. Here is my diagnostic number 4067673.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
so you have playbar and 2 Play:1's.  When playing TV you are not getting surrounds.  Sounds like your channels are not broadcasting any info to the rears.  You can go into controller under help and about and it will show you what signal the playbar is getting as far as if any rear info.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello User262204,

Chris is on the right track. The audio signal that is coming through the PLAYBAR is only stereo sound which is why you are not hearing the full range of audio from all speakers.

What device do you have hooked up to your TV that you are trying to hear surround sound from? What is the make and model of your TV?

You can also increase the volume to the rear speakers in this mode to enhance the audio. To do so from a computer, go to: Manage > Settings > Room Settings > PLAYBAR > Surround Speakers.

If you TV is not capable of sending Dolby Digital sound to the PLAYBAR you can consider connecting the device directly to the PLAYBAR or going through a TOSlink switch. 
Hello Dominique. I'm having a similar issue with my rear speakers and my TV not able to change to Dolby Digital. Can you further explain "consider connecting the device directly to the Playbar or going througt a TOSlink switch."

How do you connect directly to the soundbar when the only connections are the optical port and LAN ports?

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello Dominique. I'm having a similar issue with my rear speakers and my TV not able to change to Dolby Digital. Can you further explain "consider connecting the device directly to the Playbar or going througt a TOSlink switch."

How do you connect directly to the soundbar when the only connections are the optical port and LAN ports?

Thanks!

Hi Joseph2018,

In cases where your TV won't send a Dolby Digital signal out of its optical port, another option is to use an HDMI switch that has an optical output. In this setup you would connect your various sources (cable box, gaming system, etc) to the inputs on the switch, then run an HDMI output from the switch to your TV for video. Then you could connect the audio output of the switch into the optical port of your PLAYBAR. This way, the switch would send surround audio to your PLAYBAR while sending the video to your TV.