Skip to main content

So, my Fire HD 8 is apparently too old now for S2.  What is the current goto for a cheap device to hand off to visitors or leave on the table for parties?

Hi @airforceteacher.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand you’re looking for a cheap alternative on how you can let your guest control your Sonos system. let me help you out with that.

The cheapest way and will cost you absolutely nothing is to allow your guest to download the Sonos app through our website. Once they have downloaded the Sonos app, all they need to do is connect to your Wifi (where your Sonos devices are connected to), Open the Sonos App, and select “Connect to the existing system”. They will be able to play music change volume, change currently played music but not add or make any modifications to your Sonos system. Allow me to share with you the guide that discusses all there is to know about how to connect to an existing Sonos system in a different location.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Thank you, but that wasn’t what I was asking. 

Hi @airforceteacher.

Thanks for the feedback and immediate response.

I was suggesting the cheapest solution but if you wanted to have your guest make use of a device that you own for them to make use of, Let me hand you off to other members of the community who may have a recommendation or feedback on the cheapest device (controller) they can recommend. I would also like to recommend the guide about Sonos app requirements and I’d give it a try to contact Amazon customer service if they have any feedback or recommendation on how to get your Fire HD 8 to have at least Fire OS 6.2 or higher so it can work with the Sonos App.

Let us reach out to other members of the community who might have recommendations or feedback on the cheapest mobile controller they can recommend for you. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Thank you, that’s why I asked here - there have been multiple recommendations over the years for devices since the Sonos dedicated controllers, and was hoping the community had already solved this question for the S2 controller.

Costco has a Samsung Galaxy 8" Tab A Wi-Fi Tablet 32GB for $90. I have a couple I use just as alarm clocks and Sonos controllers.