Password protection

• 10 November 2014
  • 39 replies

Sonos app allows anybody to play/use if they have Wifi access.
So if i share my wifi password with my guest he gets access to my Sonos set-up. With bridge we had to connect once with bridge, which was some what a security feature.

Even better if we could control access to certain group of speakers. I don't want children/guest to use my bedroom speakers only their rooms and my be common areas.

Password protection

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

I am surprised by the poll results.
People please vote...
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I am not that surprised, I would not want to have to key in a password each time I wanted to change zone/room groupings!
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I am not that surprised, I would not want to have to key in a password each time I wanted to change zone/room groupings!Same here - but I can see a case for needing a password to allow a new Sonos controller to 'join' the system ( a simple popup to input 4 numbers?) - but I would appreciate a password to allow system firmware to be updated.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I suppose this might be useful for some people, but it would be pointless for me.

No one ever accesses my wifi or network apart from me.
I suppose this might be useful for some people, but it would be pointless for me.

No one ever accesses my wifi or network apart from me.

Exactly. Take control of your guests.
I guess, User Profiles with ability to restrict zones would be great idea.
I am not that surprised, I would not want to have to key in a password each time I wanted to change zone/room groupings!

In an interview, that was precisely the reason given by the Sonos CEO for not implementing password protection.
In an interview, that was precisely the reason given by the Sonos CEO for not implementing password protection.

One time user log-in should solve the problem of typing passwords again and again??
Userlevel 1
Badge
I wouldn't want to have the controllers password protected - can't see any use in that.

However, simply hiding some of the zones on some of the controllers could be useful, for example in order to restrict controllers that have a fixed place in the house to the zones they actually reside in (example: guest room). Would make their UI less cluttered and avoid accidentally controlling other zones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRL View Post

Wow - I must get my job application in, clearly I have CEO potential! 😃
Userlevel 1
The way I'd like to see this work would be for each Sonos device to have an optional PIN/password. The first time a new controller connects to a device with a PIN enabled, the user is prompted for that PIN. The PIN is remembered by the controller so won't need entering again. The default should be PIN/passwords disabled so that those who don't have a need for this feature are unaffected.

In my case, I'd love to give each of my kids their own Sonos device (and they'd love me to give them one too!) but they are at a age where they spend half their time looking for new ways to tease each other. With the current Sonos app, if they each had their own devices, they'd likely spend more time interfering with their sibling's Sonos than spending time using their own Sonos! :D

If this feature is ever implemented I'd add two additional PLAY:5 devices right away.

-David
If this feature is ever implemented I'd add two additional PLAY:5 devices right away.

Or you could buy the units and reprimand your kids to respect YOUR toys. 😃
It's just music!
Userlevel 1
Badge +8
Yet another password? Please don't do this Sonos!
I agree that having the equivalent of multiple households on the same network could be useful in some cases, but this would be with detrimental to simplicity and simplicity is the beauty of Sonos.
Overall, I don't like this idea.

A very quick expedient would be to change the WiFi password on party night. -- Or, if you are brave, remove the password on party night.
Userlevel 1
What a great idea. Please do this Sonos!

My suggestion was that this feature be optional, default OFF. If Sonos were to implement this but you don't need it, then don't enable it. 🙂 Please don't deny this to others that would benefit from it.
a bit late to the party but i'm pretty surprised by the ignorance in this thread to the topic at hand.

People are so defensive over this password option when I think they're thinking of it incorrectly.

1) We don't want a password 'all the time', having the option to lock out 1 Sonos controller would be fantastic because of....

2) Not everyone uses Sonos at home, case in point: we have 3 Sonos controllers in our office. 1 in reception, 1 in the main office and 1 in our presentation room. We don't want Joe Schmo playing his favourite Lady gaga track on the presentation room sonos when he wanted to play it on the main office one.

You people saying things like 'Teach your kids' or 'take responsibility', accidents happen people and people are inherently idiots when it comes to stuff like this, especially office people. It's happened to us before, it'll happen again and the entire thing can be fixed with an OPTIONAL setting to need a pin/password to play through that/group that room into your playlist.

Seriously people, think outside the box here. Just because you don't see value in it doesn't mean others wont and it's not like this is an overly insane request.
Why do you provide WIFI service for their personal devices? Change that password and you have your password protection in your office.
Seriously people, think outside the box here. Just because you don't see value in it doesn't mean others wont and it's not like this is an overly insane request.
We "people" on these forums are just Sonos users, though Sonos staff do occasionally stop by.

Seriously, the requirement for password/PIN lock-outs quite probably impinges on such a tiny fraction of Sonos' customer -- or potential customer -- base that to divert engineering attention to such a feature, as opposed to all the other requested items, makes no business sense.

I can't help thinking that if you have Sonos units which you don't want to be accessible by some controllers then the simplest solution is to configure them onto a different Sonos Household (aka 'system'). In extremis you could even put them on a different network subnet.
Another voter who would like to see this implemented.

I have always allowed friends access to my wifi but I want to control the music and not let them start ruining my playlist!

Previously I had a iPhone app for playing music directly from my iPad to my hi-fi.

As someone else put, why not make it an optional for each setup, with the default being no password?

I think it would be a worthwhile addition. Please consider this sonos.
Userlevel 2
I intend to use a sonos system in a public building with multi users and multiple rooms.
Every body has acces to the network and in some cases I would like to the users in some rooms to have access to the sound system in their own room. but in the more commonly used rooms (like a bar) I think the bartender should be able to be in charge of the music.
so an option to set a password or a pin code per separate room would be a great solution.
As a matter a fact this is now seen as a hurdle to buy a sonos system (at least 5 play 3, 2 play 5 and 1 connect) or not.

That's a ridiculous argument. You could simply have it switchable so those that require it can have it. Anyone with access to the household wifi can mess with the system as they choose. Clearly those who don't want it don't have kids!
I don't want it and have kids that know their boundaries.
i think it would be useful to have a onetime passcode after someone downloads the app and attempts to connect to your network. we are using the speakers in a showroom where management wants to control the music venue and the volume control. without some type of passcode anybody that downloads the app can connect to your network and change the music and the volume.