Party mode

• 12 December 2012
  • 46 replies

Userlevel 1
It would be a really neat feature to have some sort of party mode i could enable before the party, that would put MY controller as the master and all other controllers where guests. This way my guests that have connected to my sonos with their smart phone, can search for songs on my system but their only possibility is to queue the song(s) and not clear/skip the queue. Furthermore the guests shouldn't be able to stop/start/forward a song to break the rhythm and probably annoy the person that chose the current song playing. After the party is over, the master controller can just disable party mode and all controllers work evenly again.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

46 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
First always be sure to edit queue in beginning so at least it gives you the message that you are about to erase queue.

Ah, thanks for the tip, wondered why I was seeing it some times and not others!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes the current version has made it difficult. First always be sure to edit queue in beginning so at least it gives you the message that you are about to erase queue. Very short sighted with Sonos. I don’t let guests use the controller very much any more compared to I used to freely share it.

I just hope some people delete the queue several times at Christmas parties this year of some Sonos execs to finally get some traction on this.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'd like to add my name to the list of those asking for this.

I'm new to Sonos and my wife and I treated ourselves to a Sonos Play 1 each. We were very happy with the ease of setup and the quality.

However, we had a large party of over 20 people shortly and it was chaos.

Queue crashed all over the place, dead air, volume up and down.

Now, I appreciate that I should have done some more research, and that other systems suffer from the same problem, but TBH I did expect more from Sonos.

Even if the initial solution just made it a bit harder to crash the queue by changing the default tap to add to queue and also made the queue more prominent (on a phone) by not hiding it behind a slightly obscure button.

I understand that these issues have been raised by veteran users so I thought that I'd add my voice as a first time user to counteract any idea that this might be due to people just not liking change.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No sign of
Userlevel 2
Bump
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea well needed.
In my opinion, it would be great if it was possible to select different modes for how the app reacts when someone selects a song.Today, the Sonos app immediately starts playing a song when someone selects it. It would be nice if it was possible to select a mode where it adds it to the queue when someone selects it. Nothing more. This will immediately solve the annoying problem where people are stopping the running song.

Instead of letting people connect to the wifi, a solution is to use 1 iPad, and circle it around.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Would be a great feature! Maybe best implemented as an option when joining a Sonos network (host with password or guest with restricted access).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
bump
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No. they don't reply to future plans.
Does someone from Sonos replies????
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Interesting find. It would appear to indicate they have been working on this for a long time. Maybe waiting on the patent approval before being able to share anything and get the ball rolling on implementation.
I bet it is close
http://www.ce-pro.eu/article/sonos-patent-describes-ultimate-party-mode-share-access-not-password
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes agree
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I'm happy to share my bandwidth AND the ability control (in a limited capability) the music for the night. Different people have different tastes and I'm happy to satisfy all music genres... I'd just like to limit what can be done with it. Especially with people not necessarily aware/fully understand the "Play now, Play Next and Enqueue" features...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Party mode for me isn't as much about limiting complete access. That's easy enough to fix. It's about limiting control of the play queue so someone doesn't accidentally hit play now and wipe out everyone's requests.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Oh and something we're out of control a quick change of my wifi password would end that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I give out my wifi was password all the time. But my friends don't act obnoxious either.
Still not clear why people would give out their Wi-Fi password to party guests or other visitors. If you really think guests need to use your Wi-Fi while they are visiting you then you can set up a guest network with Internet only access and keep Sonos safe on the internal network. If that is too much work then let visitors use there cell connection to check those vital texts and emails but don't give out your Wi-Fi password ever.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I'd like to bump this as well. We had 12 guest last night and the music management quickly became a nightmare (police was called but to unruly guests finding it funny to suddenly blast the music; good luck figuring out who is responsible) as people were bumping each other after only a few seconds into each song.

I agree with what has been said before:
- Master controller(s): More than one app could have the full features (those who have proved themselves to be worthy)
- Guest mode: Can only queue songs but not hijack the queue, nor control volume or stop/skip the songs
- Limit the number of songs one can queue to X (configurable). x=x-1 once one of your songs has played

As someone mentioned, sharing Sonos music management with a group of more than 4 people quickly stop being bearable.

I hope this simple feature will be added to a future revision of the app.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi galewis, afraid that we can't comment on future hard- or software features and developments, but can assure you that these ideas and feature requests are being reviewed and forwarded internally on a regular base.
BUMP! - Come on SONOS... Give us a response at least.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Nope.... Haven't seen any sign of Sonos working on any type party mode or restricted access modes.
Hi all and SONOS!

Any updates on this subject??
iTunes DJ is a perfect model for this. The host maintains the library people can choose from (Although it would be great for this to be a toggle to let guests choose/not choose from their own library) and attendees can vote up songs they want to hear sooner from the hosts playlist.