Skip to main content

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

I could be wrong, but I have this feeling that we will be served an app update today or tomorrow (at 3pm UK, 10 ET). There was nothing on Monday, and any later in the week doesn’t allow much time for urgent resolution before the weekend… But I do feel that, for customer sanity and temporary quelling of flames, they won’t leave it until next week before throwing out a few remedial tidbits...

My magic 8 ball says it’s definitely coming today. But I’ll let you know for sure after I talk to 1-800-psychic 🤣

I am certainly not as on top of this as most of you. In saying that, if I say something stupid, take it for face value, it probably is stupid. 

My system seems to be confused as to who is on first base, to use a reference from Abbott and Costello. I turn it on in the morning and sound is coming out of my four surround sound speakers. However,  when I try to get my move to play also, my app is telling me it's on already on and in charge (on first base) but I can't get sound out of it or change the volume on the surround speakers. All these things worked perfectly prior to the new app.

Now I'm just guessing about this but I'd be willing to bet two things, 1, there are a LOT of folks like me who have no clue what to do, or how to do it even with instruction.  2, I'm  guessing one or two of the folks on this forum do know how to fix this. 

If this were a great app upgrade and worked for everyone but me, I'd hire someone who can set my stuff right. Reading what everyone is writing here, I don't think the app is right. I think they really messed up. And I think when they get this straightened out, if, they get it straightened out that I might not need to hire somebody. But I got a lot of money invested in this equipment and it sure as hell like to use it! And, use it without having to deal with it fight with it try to trick it, (okay stop laughing) into working. 

Very interesting article! It gives some idea how come that the app works reasonably in some networks and not in others. Myself I was quite lucky, but I had fixed IP-addresses for all my Sonos players. Maybe that helped. Sonos users who are not computer techies are quite less like to make such configurations.

And, yes, “had” in the previous paragraph is not a typo. Since twenty minutes ago, I am no longer a Sonos owner. That was when a buyer picked up my two Sonos Five I had for sale. The rest of the stuff went quickly on Monday. Instead I am now enjoying my Bluesound system.

As I’ve said before, an important point for this move is that I had planned to replace my two old Play:3 with two ERA300, but when new app came out and I started to think on how things worked in the past, I decided to give Bluesound a try, and the test fell out well.True, that’s some money to cough up, but if you account for how much got for the old Sonos gear and also deduct the cost for two ERA300, that covers about two thirds of the cost for the Bluesound.

And with these words, I bid adieu of this thread and the Sonos forums. I you are interested in my comparison between Sonos and Bluesound, it’s on page 63 in this thread. Some people has asked me to come back to tell more about my experience, but I don’t think that would be appropriate. Unless, that is, I find so many flaws that I ditch Bluesound  and go back Sonos! But so far I am content.

Very interesting article! It gives some idea how come that the app works reasonably in some networks and not in others. Myself I was quite lucky, but I had fixed IP-addresses for all my Sonos players. Maybe that helped. Sonos users who are not computer techies are quite less like to make such configurations.

And, yes, “had” in the previous paragraph is not a typo. Since twenty minutes ago, I am no longer a Sonos owner. That was when a buyer picked up my two Sonos Five I had for sale. The rest of the stuff went quickly on Monday. Instead I am now enjoying my Bluesound system.

As I’ve said before, an important point for this move is that I had planned to replace my two old Play:3 with two ERA300, but when new app came out and I started to think on how things worked in the past, I decided to give Bluesound a try, and the test fell out well.True, that’s some money to cough up, but if you account for how much got for the old Sonos gear and also deduct the cost for two ERA300, that covers about two thirds of the cost for the Bluesound.

And with these words, I bid adieu of this thread and the Sonos forums. I you are interested in my comparison between Sonos and Bluesound, it’s on page 63 in this thread. Some people has asked me to come back to tell more about my experience, but I don’t think that would be appropriate. Unless, that is, I find so many flaws that I ditch Bluesound  and go back Sonos! But so far I am content.

Farväl och lycka till, Erland...

I could be wrong, but I have this feeling that we will be served an app update today or tomorrow (at 3pm UK, 10 ET). There was nothing on Monday, and any later in the week doesn’t allow much time for urgent resolution before the weekend… But I do feel that, for customer sanity and temporary quelling of flames, they won’t leave it until next week before throwing out a few remedial tidbits...

The release schedule is as unpredictable as the app. 

Since updating Sonos App on my Samsung ultra 24 I am unable to add Amazon Alexa as a voice Assistant

I was indeed wrong. Look like they ARE leaving it until next week to release any more updates.

It certainly is a long road to recovery… 

(The next quarterly results are released in just four weeks. I honestly thought they would throw everything into fixes to ensure this debacle wouldn’t leave any trace by the time the next report went out. I was wrong again.)

Gosh….all the posts here and all the fb Sonos forums that just hate the new app. I after reading them will not update the app.

Will Sonos stand up and correct its mistake or turn around and walk away and do nothing? Curious on how it will be handled.

Agreed - don’t update if you have not already done so!

I have been using Sonos for years now.  The app has really become difficult to use for me and my wife.  It is really hard for us to find music in Tidal and Pandora and play it through one or many of our 4 Sonos systems.  Please fix it.

It’s not too difficult, perhaps the attached screen-capture recording might assist, presented just as an example.

First select a room, or rooms from the slide-up "room selector" screen. Then goto Pandora, or your chosen music service from the Home Screen, browse the service to your chosen Station/Audio Source and hit the play button. I hope the attached assists with you and your Wife’s understanding of the App UI.

You can also add favourite Stations/Audio Sources as ‘shortcuts’ to your Sonos App Home Screen too to speed things along for you and the Wife.

Maybe also see the App tour guide in the Sonos App itself and online. See below:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/guides/sonosapp

That's a all well and good response, but how do you respond when you can't even find your speakers when using an Android phone? You can't even create rooms any longer. 

That's an all well and good response, but how do you respond when you can't even find your speakers when using an Android phone? You can't even create rooms any longer. 

I’ve not personally encountered that problem, but rather than I trouble you with mDNS multicast discovery troubleshooting over the local network (much of which is already posted online in this community and elsewhere) - I think it’s perhaps much easier for you to maybe call into Sonos support and speak with them instead over the phone, as they have tools that can assist with such local discovery issues. Here is the link to contact them: 

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

That's a all well and good response, but how do you respond when you can't even find your speakers when using an Android phone? You can't even create rooms any longer. 

If support can’t help you I recommend try accessing your system with the desktop app if you have access to a computer. If it works there, download Sonophone ($3). Enjoy your system working again.

I spent 1hr waiting on hold and 2 1/2 hours speaking with one of Sonos support folks trying everything to fix the issues only to be told there is no fix and their engineers are working extremely hard to correct the problems with the app and it's latest release

I spent 1hr waiting on hold and 2 1/2 hours speaking with one of Sonos support folks trying everything to fix the issues only to be told there is no fix and their engineers are working extremely hard to correct the problems with the app and it's latest release

So why didn’t you just mention these things earlier - it might have saved everyone time.🤷‍♂️

Try the desktop app. It will likely work. If so use Sonophone if you want a phone app that works.

Meanwhile, WiiM have just added room correction functionality to their app. 

Those guys seem to have their heads screwed on. 

Ever since that app update my whole system does not work properly.

Who ever was in charge of this update should be fired immediately if not sooner.

This whole system is junk now.I would not recommend Sonos to anyone.

After 8 years of basically trouble free Sonos I made the mistake of updating to the disastrous new app. It drops everything all the time. It's slow to respond to volume up/down,  constantly tells me there is no system connected. Takes far to long to connect when you open the app, requiring continuous close open to activate. It's a pity because the basic tech is wonderful. The app needs to be removed and fixed offline before offering to the user again and in the meantime go back to the old app 

As it was a rebuild from scratch I cannot understand why Sonos did not opt to release it as such - i.e. a new app, allowing those of us who would prefer a “slower migration” to stay with the old app for now - instead of forcing us all to become beta-testers.

Anyway, from another user I got a tip of how to revert back to the app version pre this new release - and… it worked like a charm (I selected the latest version in March). I was almost surprised at how much stress level was instantly reduced. It takes a little fiddling if one as me is a newsbie (e.g. it turned out I had not completely uninstalled my newer version of itunes which resulted in an error message, but once I figured out the root of the problem it was quickly solved). Enjoy!

https://github.com/qnblackcat/How-to-Downgrade-apps-on-AppStore-with-iTunes-and-Charles-Proxy?tab=readme-ov-file#step-1-preparing

What have you done ! ?  Already weeks and still struggling.  I have already posted on various issues since the new release but niw is thz multi room and playing avrious type of music. With the new system it is now conter intuitive to semect a room and play music in that room. This result in frustration for the all family with mistake wrong music wrong room pmayin. Pleaze I beg you accept the major mistakr and revert back to the previous app . It was almost perfect . 

What have you done ! ?  Already weeks and still struggling.  I have already posted on various issues since the new release but niw is thz multi room and playing avrious type of music. With the new system it is now conter intuitive to semect a room and play music in that room. This result in frustration for the all family with mistake wrong music wrong room pmayin. Pleaze I beg you accept the major mistakr and revert back to the previous app . It was almost perfect . 

I find it quite simple to select a room/group from the slide-up "room selector" and then play an audio source to that room/group, as shown in the attached. It’s not exactly difficult to figure out how the App works. It’s far more simple IMHO, compared to the previous S2 App.

THIS IS A JOKE RIGHT?  THIS IS THE WORST APP EFFORT I HAVE EVER SEEN.  I HAVE BEEN A LOYAL SONOS CUSTOMER AND OVER THE YEARS DEMO’D MY 10+ DEVICE SYSTEMS TO TONS OF PEOPLE.  HOW IN THE WORLD CAN YOU RELEASE AN APP THAT IS SO BAD IT DOES NOT EVEN WORK???????  ARE YOU JOKING ME?  THE ONLY WAY TO ACCESS MY SYSTEM IS VIA A LAPTOP??? AM i SUPPOSED TO CARRY A LAPTOP AROUND OUTSIDE WHEN I WANT TO LISTEN TO MUSIC?  STRAP IT TO MY BACK WHILE i WALK AROUND THE HOUSE????  

WHO THE HECK IS RUNNING THIS COMPANY?  THIS IS THE BIGGEST TECHNOLOGY SCREW UP I HAVE EVER SEEN.  I LOVED BLACKBERRY BUT EVEN THEY DID NOT PISS OFF CUSTOMERS LIKE THIS.  

It’s absolute garbage. None of my speakers work together. The app has so many bugs it’s hard where to start - I guess the speakers not working together is #1. Numerous people in Leadership should lose their job over this release…

None of my speakers work together. The app has so many bugs it’s hard where to start - I guess the speakers not working together is #1. 

I’m not sure you’ve found the grouping screen… Tap the speakers icon at the bottom of any screen and tick the speakers you want to group.