Skip to main content

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

Something else to consider is latency and external routing and congestion. Basic commands like play, pause, menu navigation are being sent to Sonos over the internet and back to your network.

NO, THEY ARE NOT!

No need to shout 🤣. But they are.

Pull your network cable (while playing from your music library). You can still control your music. And we have said this a few times now.

Did you know you can access your system and control it from anywhere in the world, cause controller commands going through the Sonos cloud is now a thing: play.sonos.com 

But that is not the same thing as the controller app on your phone would be travelling that route.

Yes it falls back to local control eventually when no connection to the internet is detected. 

Anyhow @Rhonny you do face rather an uphill battle in trying to find a common root cause, me thinks, but I still applaud you for trying - getting some users to take notice of any suggestions is another thing completely.

Thanks, @Ken_Griffiths . I appreciate all those who have responded with details, but I think it’s all going to be too technical for most to engage with, let alone see any patterns from. 

My desire to help is not boundless, and after two months (and given my system works fine), I may just watch from afar. 

Anyhow @Rhonny you do face rather an uphill battle in trying to find a common root cause, me thinks, but I still applaud you for trying - getting some users to take notice of any suggestions is another thing completely.

Thanks, @Ken_Griffiths . I appreciate all those who have responded with details, but I think it’s all going to be too technical for most to engage with, let alone see any patterns from. 

My desire to help is not boundless, and after two months (and given my system works fine), I may just watch from afar. 

Oh please stay close, there are clearly others afoot here trying to take advantage of the early cloud-based climate and trying their best to bring Sonos to their knees - it’s early days and I think the vision Sonos likely have will leave the competition standing. It’s sadly a case that some have no patience or the foresight to see the longer term plan that I believe lies ahead and of course only time will tell.

Thanks, @Ken_Griffiths . I appreciate all those who have responded with details, but I think it’s all going to be too technical for most to engage with, let alone see any patterns from. 

Oh please stay close, there are clearly others afoot here trying to take advantage of the early cloud-based climate and trying their best to bring Sonos to their knees - it’s early days and I think the vision Sonos likely have will leave the competition standing. It’s sadly a case that some have no patience or the foresight to see the longer term plan that I believe lies ahead and of course only time will tell.

:) I will be here and will continue to help on things I may have knowledge on. But the anger and frustration that this app release has generated is too huge a wall of fire - I am but a pipette of water! Plus, forums act as echo chambers so issues are multiplied. And as I don’t have the same issues, just trying to make suggestions, it makes it harder to be taken seriously as anything other than a mouthpiece for Sonos. As you know, you’re either with the complainants or you’re with Sonos…

I am bought into Sonos throughout the house. I am not changing hardware and am in it for the longer term. Am I angry with Sonos? You bet - I want to feel my speakers are premium, and no-one wants to be associated with tarnished brands. 

Luckily, the public at large are not on here so don’t see the level of frustration vented at Sonos. They are, though, on the app stores, and filtering ‘By Recent’ presents a TERRIBLE picture for Sonos. Let’s hope they can keep to their July schedule - and that they stop ignoring issues that should be on their published list by now (Playlists, anyone?). 

I was very intrigued to see this bigger, better app that was trumpeted at the end of April. I still am.

I won’t be going into all the ins and outs of my system, but: Draytek router, iPhone 12, reasonable speed fibre connection.  All with fixed / bound IP addresses, IP4 only.  Everything worked for me from day 1.  I did have the creepingly slow and unresponsive volume slider on a couple of Connect:Amps, but the newer amps and speakers worked just fine.  I’d already started to have the regular dropouts on these amps anyway, which was only temporarily fixed by rebooting.  
I had already decided to replace the only Connects anyway.  Expensive to do but they were ancient in terms of anything else connected to my network.

I’m just wondering if ant least some of the issues  encountered  are with Sonos dragging these old Connect devices along into the new app.  It reminds me of my IPhones that eventually become unusable due to the weight of Apple’s OS updates.  Maybe Sonos should draw a line in the sand and make the new app for the newer kit only. 

In some ways I’d like to see that too. Looking at the published hardware comparison charts that (I think?) @controlav initially published here in the community in the past (a version is attached below, but it may now be oudated), which shows some older S2 products only have 32MB memory & 32MB Storage… which isn’t very much these days.

However it’s clear that Sonos do try their best to take their customers with them on their development roadmap, but the S1/S2 split was inevitable, but I’m not now sure that some S2 hardware perhaps should have gone over to S1 only too… but if Sonos are moving to a more cloud-based approach, then perhaps the storage will become less of an issue - but I guess that some products will certainly need a faster processor/WiFi adapter hardware and perhaps a bit more memory too, just to keep up.

On a different note @Andrew-s, I really like the post you put out yesterday HERE - it was constructive and presented some valid (true) points.👍

80.04.04 just crashes on my iPhone 13 Pro.  Only see the Sonos logo then it’s gone, so I’m not seeing anything new.

And I now have no access to my Sonos system unless I go with the 3rd party app (which I’ve resorted to - it is functional!)

I had the same issue. Deleting then reinstalling the app fixed this on my phone. Worth a shot. 

Thanks, that did indeed work for me.  Seems snappier than the previous version.

Ty

I have a 4 grand S2 system that is no longer worth the money for what I can use it for.. I’m lucky thou. I still have an S1 system that works.. does what I want when I want it too. I’m lucky I invested in Sonos at the start. I have 3 brand new S1 Amps that I’m just about to install and replace and give up on the S2 (4k system) I bought in the belief I was upgrading to better. I’m absolutely upset with the new S2 app. It’s a complete disaster, I had been open to the idea of spending 450 on Ace but why would I when the whole system is gone to pot. Mid June for music library and still nothing (it’s July) I’m a loyal to this brand because of the years of happiness. I remember the early days asking support when the music library could be updated beyond 100 gig and a week later it was resolved. I feel frustrated unhappy annoyed, I know with Ace coming updates were required but at the same time, why put so many loyal customers to the knife just to sell them. Product development, R&D and management on this one need to accept some responsibility. It’s a bit like robbing Paul to pay Peter. I’ll hope within 3 months this will be resolved but honestly loosing faith quickly

Why am I even writing this.. I shouldn’t have to complain to get an answer 

Moderator edit: combined posts, moved to feedback thread

Sonso your new app is absolutely garbage. Embarrassing how it just stops playing in the middle of parties. Complete waste of time and money. I can see by the comments that you do nothing about it so I have posted on every a\v store site, big box and social media pages with warnings not to buy your products. I go so far as to tell people in the store not to buy them.  Fire your entire software development team and start over!!!

You say the App stops playing in the middle of parties, but that’s not the case. The App is not a player, it’s a remote control for your speakers. If the music stops playing it’s more likely a network connection issue between the source itself and the Sonos hardware. In a good many cases it’s a network issue - so you might need to explore that a little more. It will not be the App’s fault that the music stopped. In fact you could have closed the App and powered off the controller device and the music should still play.

So what you have posted in the various places online is factually incorrect. You might want to go back and make some amendments.

Appreciate you are trying to troubleshoot and support the stability of the app Ken but as you can see from the numerous posts, the app continues to be the main issue. In my case I went out of my way to buy wifi pods from my provider that I pay for monthly and have one plugged-in 2 feet from the Move 2’s. I have reset my router numerous times walking through every troubleshooting step with both Sonos support and my internet provider. I confirmed the Move 2’s are connected to both the right 2.4 ghz network and the wifi pod sitting next to them. Like I have said before, this should not require a Computer Science degree in networking to get a consumer product working. If this is the case I would have hired a professionally installed outdoor sound company and paid the premium. I never exepected this type of troubleshooting required just to play music. 

Right. This it. I am out of the house for 3 weeks.
If, when I get back, the SONOS app (iOS and Mac) is not sorted I’ll toss the all lot, my 6 speakers in my house and sub to the trash. At some point patience is not a “vertu” it’s called being an idiot. 
I need all the latency / misconnections solved and local “Library Music” options back on (it is still on the Mac app but not in the latest SONOS client update). 
Crazy crazy what these people managed todo with this technology/company.

Why has your system created only frustration 

the most expensive waste of my time and listening pleasure 

why can’t we have old app back until this failure is sorted 

Appreciate you are trying to troubleshoot and support the stability of the app Ken but as you can see from the numerous posts, the app continues to be the main issue. In my case I went out of my way to buy wifi pods from my provider that I pay for monthly and have one plugged-in 2 feet from the Move 2’s. I have reset my router numerous times walking through every troubleshooting step with both Sonos support and my internet provider. I confirmed the Move 2’s are connected to both the right 2.4 ghz network and the wifi pod sitting next to them. Like I have said before, this should not require a Computer Science degree in networking to get a consumer product working. If this is the case I would have hired a professionally installed outdoor sound company and paid the premium. I never exepected this type of troubleshooting required just to play music. 

I will happily carry on and try to assist you - firstly I suggest switching off those pods you mention, particularly if they are WiFi extenders, as such AP’s are not (never have been) supported by Sonos. A mesh system, configured correctly is supported, but choose to leave the pods off for now anyway.

Next I need some further information, what router is it that you’re using and what channels are in use for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands and are they operating with the same or separate SSID’s - Also do you know what channel-width each band is using?

I appreciate that’s a little technical to ask these things, but I’m not sure if you understand these things at this stage or have read your routers user-guide etc.

I will happily carry on and try to assist you - firstly I suggest switching off those pods you mention, particularly if they are WiFi extenders, as such AP’s are not (never have been) supported by Sonos. A mesh system, configured correctly is supported, but choose to leave the pods off for now anyway.

Hi @Seamur88, is your ISP either Xfinity or Spectrum? If yes, the hexagonal pod is a proper mesh device. I’ve helped neighbors set these up and they are crackerjack!

Hi @Seamur88, is your ISP either Xfinity or Spectrum? If yes, the hexagonal pod is a proper mesh device. I’ve helped neighbors set these up and they are crackerjack!

Presumably they are Plume SuperPods - if so, there are several ways to configure those pods using (usually) the Plume HomePass App - in any event, I would still keep everything simple for now and leave the pods powered off, even if that’s the case. I’m familiar with HomePass and that can be easily sorted later.

Presumably they are Plume SuperPods - if so, there are several ways to configure those pods using (usually) the Plume HomePass App - in any event, I would still keep everything simple for now and leave the pods powered off, even if that’s the case. I’m familiar with HomePass and that can be easily sorted later.

Spot on, Ken, Xfinity and Spectrum OEM the Plume pods. Both ISPs setup the pods with their own app, literally a two-click operation, it’s a pretty spiffy process. (I’ve not had occasion to use the Plume app so I cannot say if that works with the OEM pods.)

I wholeheartedly agree with your suggestion to unplug the pods temporarily (and move the Move 2s closer to the main router) to at least eliminate one variable from the equation.

Next I need some further information, what router is it that you’re using and what channels are in use for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands and are they operating with the same or separate SSID’s - Also do you know what channel-width each band is using?

I appreciate that’s a little technical to ask these things, but I’m not sure if you understand these things at this stage or have read your routers user-guide etc.

I really appreciate the technical help Ken but this is exactly what I am talking about when you need an advanced level of network and routing proficiency to operate Sonos successfully and I really don't believe I should need this in order to operate consumer grade audio components. That being said I do value the help. 

The wifi pods are Plume, sold by Bell as a mesh netwrok device creating wifi extended network coverage.

I really appreciate the technical help Ken but this is exactly what I am talking about when you need an advanced level of network and routing proficiency to operate Sonos successfully and I really don't believe I should need this in order to operate consumer grade audio components. That being said I do value the help. 

The wifi pods are Plume, sold by Bell as a mesh netwrok device creating wifi extended network coverage.

Thanks but short of ChatGPT, I have no clue where to start finding this info. 

Spot on, Ken, Xfinity and Spectrum OEM the Plume pods. Both ISPs setup the pods with their own app, literally a two-click operation, it’s a pretty spiffy process. (I’ve not had occasion to use the Plume app so I cannot say if that works with the OEM pods.)

I wholeheartedly agree with your suggestion to unplug the pods temporarily (and move the Move 2s closer to the main router) to at least eliminate one variable from the equation.

Perhaps we can both try to help @Seamur88 and try to get them up and running @press250 as I’m not so familiar with the routers mentioned - but I am familiar with the plume system. Just be nice to get their issue with the Move 2 sorted. I recommend using it on the 2.4Ghz band rather than 5Ghz - just for the longer reach/penetration that band has and to use a channel-width of 20MHz on a non-overlapping channel. Let’s see if that will start to sort the issues.

Perhaps we can both try to help @Seamur88 and try to get them up and running @press250 as I’m not so familiar with the routers mentioned - but I am familiar with the plume system. Just be nice to get their issue with the Move 2 sorted. I recommend using it on the 2.4Ghz band rather than 5Ghz - just for the longer reach/penetration that band has and to use a channel-width of 20MHz on a non-overlapping channel. Let’s see if that will start to sort the issues.

Is there a step-by-step walkthrough to configure with all the correct network settings (a video would be amazing) just so I could get it all correct the first time and reference bcak to it anytime I needed it to troubleshoot. 

Sadly "AI" is not going to help to configure your secure network setup @seamur88 - Do you know the make/model of router and how to change its WiFi channel/channel-width or steer (blacklist) a device onto a WiFi band (that’s if both bands are using the same SSID) etc. 

If not, you might find it best to speak with Sonos Support Staff instead and perhaps let them have access to the LAN (usually level 2 support staff) and ask if they will kindly configure things for you, albeit it may well be outside their usual remit, but if you don’t ask etc.

This is their link to contact Sonos CS, if you prefer to go that route instead…

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Is there a step-by-step walkthrough to configure with all the correct network settings (a video would be amazing) just so I could get it all correct the first time and reference bcak to it anytime I needed it to troubleshoot. 

Still don’t know what make/model of router you have by the way, as @press250 might just know it, if you’re lucky.

Also @Seamur88, did you switch off the plume pods? Just see if doing that alone, makes a difference.

Hi, what are you guys doing with the new app? Having installed Sonos for many years, used to having glitches, always blamed on third parties, but this is ridiculous.

Today only when I took off a Sonos Arc from the system, would it behave properly - 12 amps.

Take a look at the Arc, more problems setting up a single ARC and Sub mini than I have ever had with all Sonos systems. 

Eventually changed clients logon  to mine, got the friggin arc to update (brand new out the box) and recognise the Arc, woohoo, then with brand new Mini sub to add to the Arc, no chance. Sat on my backside for 3 hours trying, reboot to factory, the whole shebang, zilch result. Wouldn't add to the account eventually…..still in the same place I was. 

Desperately waiting for this to be sorted, delete the app, reload, sign in, nada!

I hope your share prices stays where it is on the ground! Clients moaning, Sonos support, try and get through. Waste of space.

Disappointed

Mark

If I start some music on let’s say my Move using the S2 16.1 app on my old phone then decide I want to see that music on my new phone with the 2024 app something unexpected happens.  When I look at the devices on the new phone it clearly shows something is playing on the Move, but when I choose the Move the music stops.

If I do the reverse by starting the music on the 2024 app then look at it on the S2 app the music continues playing as it should.

Sadly "AI" is not going to help to configure your secure network setup @seamur88 - Do you know the make/model of router and how to change its WiFi channel/channel-width or steer (blacklist) a device onto a WiFi band (that’s if both bands are using the same SSID) etc. 

If not, you might find it best to speak with Sonos Support Staff instead and perhaps let them have access to the LAN (usually level 2 support staff) and ask if they will kindly configure things for you, albeit it may well be outside their usual remit, but if you don’t ask etc.

This is their link to contact Sonos CS, if you prefer to go that route instead…

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Thanks I will try connecting them and see if they can help support with L2

I have been using Sonos for years now.  The app has really become difficult to use for me and my wife.  It is really hard for us to find music in Tidal and Pandora and play it through one or many of our 4 Sonos systems.  Please fix it.