Skip to main content
Question

New SONOS App - Feedback

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

2189 replies

Badge

We’re aware the the old version is available for Android. Unless someone has news, this is not the case for iPhone users. 

ok, yikes, that hurts then

Among all the other issues with this terrible new app, I’m getting constant messages that Sonos can't find my system. Have to restart my phone every time! Just want to make sure this gets on the list of fantastic new features that we don't want. Used to love Sonos. Now, not so much. We spend a lot of money for these devices and deserve better. Sonos -- get it sorted!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have, like others, emailed the CEO asking that issues be addressed - and in the meantime S2 be made available again. Doubt I will get a reply but we shall see! 

For android go to:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/#google_vignette

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We’re aware the the old version is available for Android. Unless someone has news, this is not the case for iPhone users. 

Where is the old version for Android?

For android go to:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/#google_vignette

Sonos user for many years, I feel totally disapointed and angry when I discover this new release. It is a disaster for users. Many features diseapered in this disastrous release. Amongst which: Radio unavailable (except Sonos ones), music library with no index, adding tracks to a playlist is not anymore permitted, disconnection version between IOS and windows….

Please rollback to former version asap. It is unbelievable that Sonos firm rollout such pitiful version to all its customers.

I noticed that the ‘Play Next’ & ‘add to end of queue’ issues were recently addressed and to be remedied in early June. One thing that mysteriously disappeared from the app awhile back was the ability to scroll the alphabet on the right of the screen when in artists, songs or albums. This is hugely useful for people that enjoy ‘digging’.

Hopefully it also will be added back to the platform, is this in the prospective bug fixes?

Thanks. 

Can I remove the updated version of the Sonos app?

The response time from pushing the button to something happens is nearly 30-40 sec. after the phone screen have been turned on again.

It takes 15-20 sec. to see the queue.

The old app responded 

This is several steps back in quality 

Userlevel 2
Badge

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

I have ten lumps of metal around my house that are now unusable as a result of this terrible terrible update.

I log in and get “Something went wrong” then a series of grey boxes with nothing….. for minutes.

Sonos have done something like this before when they have unilaterally withdrawn support for products etc, but this is catastrophic. I feel such an idiot wasting thousands of £ over the years only to have the money wasted by this update.

If I were Sonos I’d be looking at a rollback while they fix this to make it even half-usable. It feels to me like in lab conditions this might have worked, but out here in the real world where we don’t have perfect wireless all the time

For me they have a week then if nothing’s changed and changed by an order of magnitude thats it for Sonos….. I’m actively looking at the alternatives… what a bloody shame

Userlevel 1
Badge

Since I posted my issue I’ve now discovered there are literally thousand of loyal Sonos customers who are struggling with the App upgrade.

customer loyalty can be such a fickle thing and if Sonos don’t get their act together pretty quick, they will risk losing that loyal customer base.

Trying to revert back to Sonos1 app on IOS doesn’t work as you have to “downgrade” each product and that facility has been temporarily halted by Sonos. So, unless someone very clever out there knows a way round it, you are stuck with version 80 until Sonos start issuing fixes.

Thank god I didn’t auto upgrade my Windows system, so I can still play random songs from my library. It’s just a pain having to open the laptop.

Sonos, if you are listening, please communicate with your customers. Not everyone subscribes to Spotify etc. Give us useful information and hope for a fix and a reverse option for the version 80 app.

Downgraded to a previous version. @Sonos fix this. You used to be a favourite for audiophiles and now you are becoming mainstream and full of bugs. Also, whatever happened to testing your app first prior release?

Userlevel 1
Badge

The update is acting weird. I get the missing alarms, library, etc. Apple Music works fine for me…my library is in there. Apple made me move from iTunes to Apple Music…it is OK. The weirdness with the new app is on my iPad…when I reset/reinstall I get one of 2 things. First, it shows my content, sources, latest playlist, etc….but then it does not allow me to play anything from anywhere…error saying no….system does not recognize my environment. OR…it plays musics but does not recognize my content. Software testing on this, I guess is the users. Thank goodness I did not upgrade on my iPhone or Mac. Aggravating for sure. Eventually more users will jump ship…it will be expensive…but you cannot treat users like this….they/we will find an alternative. Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Since I posted my issue I’ve now discovered there are literally thousand of loyal Sonos customers who are struggling with the App upgrade.

customer loyalty can be such a fickle thing and if Sonos don’t get their act together pretty quick, they will risk losing that loyal customer base.

Trying to revert back to Sonos1 app on IOS doesn’t work as you have to “downgrade” each product and that facility has been temporarily halted by Sonos. So, unless someone very clever out there knows a way round it, you are stuck with version 80 until Sonos start issuing fixes.

Thank god I didn’t auto upgrade my Windows system, so I can still play random songs from my library. It’s just a pain having to open the laptop.

Sonos, if you are listening, please communicate with your customers. Not everyone subscribes to Spotify etc. Give us useful information and hope for a fix and a reverse option for the version 80 app.

I had all my phones set to not update automatically, then the wife complained that she could not use sonos until it had updated, so she updated her phone and the rest just followed. I still have S2 on my PC but it just tells me I need to update and wont work.

Another day goes by and no backtrack or grovelling apology, we are all still moaning, but they have us all by the balls, we have all paid thousands for sonos kit, yea sure there will be a few who just dump it and dont care about the cost but i’m sure most of us will just be hoping it’s sorted out so we can use our expensive sound systems again.

Another example of the customer getting shafted and the big tech company not giving a stuff.

This application is a disgrace and an insult to the Sonos clients. 

I just purchased two Era 100, an addition to my 5 other Sonos elements and the application doesn't work anymore. 

I can't use my sound system anymore, the customer service is useless and undertrained. They have no idea why the application can't connect to the local Wifi system, an issue that was inexistent beforehand. 

Provided they find a quick solution to my problem, I m not only sending back my new Eras but also will let the entire social media platforms to definitely not choose Sonos and put forward a formal complaint to the French consumer service (DGCCRF) for customer deceit. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

This application is a disgrace and an insult to the Sonos clients. 

I just purchased two Era 100, an addition to my 5 other Sonos elements and the application doesn't work anymore. 

I can't use my sound system anymore, the customer service is useless and undertrained. They have no idea why the application can't connect to the local Wifi system, an issue that was inexistent beforehand. 

Provided they find a quick solution to my problem, I m not only sending back my new Eras but also will let the entire social media platforms to definitely not choose Sonos and put forward a formal complaint to the French consumer service (DGCCRF) for customer deceit. 

Get on your socials, stir up as much shit as you can, it seems to be the only thing companies listen to these days. I just emailed the CEO for what good it will do.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’ve had a few days to get used to the app before providing feedback, and I’m sorry to say, that it’s not good.

I’m sure that a lot of these have been covered already, but here are the issues affecting my usage of the app:

1. I use Deezer and the context menus for tracks, albums and playlists have disappeared so I can’t add tracks playlists, view the album (without resorting to search) and a bunch of other stuff that used to be there.
  2. I can’t edit or add to the music queue, only replace it.
  3. Scroll bar has disappeared meaning that when I scroll through my music library on my server, I manually have to scroll through hundreds of albums just to get to albums starting with the letter G. I’ve not got further than that yet.
  4. Album art is no longer displayed for any music on my server library
  5. The file type (mp3, flac etc) is no longer displayed on any music, including my server library tracks.
  6. When browsing my server library, the lack of a home button means I have to press the phone’s back button numerous times to get back to home / search.
  7. The volume buttons on my android phone only work when I have the app open. Previously they worked when the app was playing in the background, or when the phone was locked.
  8. Speakers are generally dropping more than they used to. I also have an iPhone and the old version of the app installed there. The speakers are present and correct without dropping on the iPhone old version, at the same time they are dropping from the new app on the Android phone.
  9. App generally seems buggy, with “An error has occurred” type message often popping up.
  10. The new version is definitely slower than the old version with pages taking a little longer to load. S2 was similar at release.
  11. Personally I preferred the old layout with the menu bar at the bottom, but I get that UI is always subjective.
  12. Music Library is now a Source rather than a Service meaning I can’t add folders to the Home screen as a short cut. I had these saved to home previously.
  13. Last.FM has disappeared as a service, but my system is scrobbling.
  14. Showing the bit rate would be nice

I don’t use the alarms or accessibility features, but if I did, taking these away would have infuriated me. 

In my day job, I’m an Application Product Manager, and from a professional perspective, I just don’t understand the decisions that Sonos have taken here.

What was the MVP? And why was it seemingly deemed to be ok to be so lacking and Minimal? Did it pass QA? Could it not have waited for further functions to be ready? Nobody was crying out for a new app, right?

The most important person in any equation is the user. Ergo, you need to understand your users. Without them, you have nothing. To take away features which users previously relied on is just nuts. If I did the same, I’d be out of a job.

So it makes me wonder why this was done? Is it an admission that Sonos got it wrong with the previous version of the S2 app? Is it a new product coming online which necessitates a new app? Is it arrogance?  

If you read this, thanks for reading. 

I’ve spoken to Sonos support today and they suggested unplugging each individual speaker and then plugging them back in, effectively rebooting each speaker in turn, which seems to have rectified the majority of the problems I was experiencing 🤞 I’ve certainly regained an amount of control of my music again 👍🏻

I’ve spoken to Sonos support today and they suggested unplugging each individual speaker and then plugging them back in, effectively rebooting each speaker in turn, which seems to have rectified the majority of the problems I was experiencing 🤞 I’ve certainly regained an amount of control of my music again 👍🏻

That’s good to hear, hopefully the new app works ok for you. Sonos units are very temperamental and often a reboot fixes them. 

This system gets more and more complicated every time there is an update. Does Sonos understand that user functionality specially for older generation should not be dismissed.

i will not install or recommend this system going forward.

Userlevel 4
Badge

What the heck is this new “update” to the app supposed to do because it certainly doesn’t control my Sonos system! Nothing works. I can’t search, the app locks up, I can’t control volume on individual devices. This all sucks. Who would release an app like this that has not been appropriately tested?!?  MY STRONG SUGGESTION: REPOST THE OLD APP AND LET US GO BACK TO THE VERSION THAT WORKS SO THAT SONOS CAN FIX THIS NEW APP AND TEST IT PROPERLY BEFORE RELEASING IT AGAIN!

The new app does not work. 
I add the products. It works once then gone. 
this is not fit for purpose. I’ve wasted hours. 

Shocking.  The latest update has rendered a houseful of speaker completely useless.  I tell everyone I know not to buy anything from this company.  The app itself - which used to at least make some sense - has been redesigned in a way that makes everything harder: searching, volume control, reaching playlists, ALL of it.  But that’s irrelevant… Because it can’t connect with the system, so I can’t play music anyway.  And god help me if I do successfully start a song, I’d better commit…  Because I won’t be able to turn the music off!

PLEASE ALLOW US TO REINSTALL THE OLD APP SO AT LEAST I CAN PLAY SOME MUSIC

Following the “upgrade” my Beam is simply undiscovererable. Therefore the system is unusable other than sound coming from the TV and airplay. 
will Sonos be sorting this terrible situation, refunding the cost of our system, allow us to roll back to the previous app version? Somehow I doubt anything will improve quickly.

dreadful customer service and I have left an Apple Store review saying as much.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Can anyone from Sonos verify that the old version hosted here is safe to download and install once we’ve removed the current app from our Android phones?

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/sonos-16-1-android-apk-download/?redirected=thank_you_invalid_nonce

Version:16.1(780151031) for Android 8.0+ (Oreo, API 26)

Uploaded:March 12, 2024 at 7:20AM PDT

File size:84.09 MB

Downloads:6,532

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Yet another thing that has disappeared for no good reason is numbered volume control, there is just a slider now which is useless for eg night time music in a kids bedroom where we know exactly how loud we need it - or used to anyway…