Skip to main content

New feature - Lock Volume when Grouped

• 27 January 2017
  • 8 replies

I think it will be a great idea if it was possible to "lock" a speaker to a specified volumelevel when it is in a group. I have a speaker in the garden and to prevent trouble with the neighbours when I turn up the music inside I will like the outside speaker to stay on a choosen level but the level on the rest of the speakers can increase 😃
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Or to state it another way, you would like to be able to set a maximum level for the outdoor speaker(s) that will not be exceeded regardless if it is being controlled individually or as part of a group where the rest of the speakers in the group are not restricted.

If the Garden speaker is driven by a Connect Amp or a Connect plus separate amp then this is easy to do by physically limiting the maximum volume via a speaker volume control or the volume control on the separate amp. I assume you are having trouble because the garden speaker is a "Play" model rather than an outdoor speaker driven by a Sonos component?
It's precise what I meant, and yes the speaker is a Play model
It would be nice to have a simple "max volume" option in room settings. It could default to 100% so people who don't need it never have to bother with it. It should also not go below 20% so there is no way to accidently set them to zero and generate a lot of service calls to Sonos that the speaker stopped working.
This will be a great solution if it's possible
I second this motion. For me, a fixed option would also work. The Connect has a fixed volume option, but it sets the volume to 100%. I want my Connect to be fixed at 50%.
The 100% fixed option should work just as well; remember to not turn up the volume control on the downstream amp, which is then the only thing that controls volume, beyond a specific level. Setting the fixed at 50% would just mean remembering a different level for this discipline to work. Whatever is done with the Sonos controller, even when in grouped mode, will not change that volume, whether fixed at 50% or 100%.
Setting fixed at 50% would make that option useless if higher volume of the kind that can be obtained with the Connect at 100% is ever desired.
Any updates on this?
Having kids in the house (big & small :D) is there a way to limit the volume so that 100% is in fact 70%. Thanks