More Amazon Echo Thoughts

• 27 November 2014
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I really like my Echo but it is limited - needs more apps.... I really, really hope (really, really, really) a Sonos app becomes available for the Echo - I would add another one no problem. I love my Sonos - and normally I dislike voice control but Echo is far superior to others. So let's keep our fingers crossed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
OK - so a couple of thoughts:

1. I am betting that Amazon probably sells more Sonos units than all other retailers combined. So make a deal!!!

2. I'd love to stream my Audible books without downloading to library and have WhisperSync work properly.

3. The alarm feature is awesome!
Userlevel 1
I really like my Echo but it is limited - needs more apps.... I really, really hope (really, really, really) a Sonos app becomes available for the Echo - I would add another one no problem. I love my Sonos - and normally I dislike voice control but Echo is far superior to others. So let's keep our fingers crossed.

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying but you think Sonos should change its FREE app to allow people to buy someone else's hardware? Can you see any reason why that wouldn't happen?
Surely it's the other way around. Surely.

Aren't we talking about Amazon making the Echo function as a Sonos controller? For example you could shout 'Alexa! Turn that **** Sonos down in junior's bedroom!'
Userlevel 1
Well, yes, that's what I thought at first but I took the line:
"I really hope a Sonos app becomes available for the Echo - I would add another one no problem."

to mean he would add another Echo, and I don't see how Sonos benefits from that.
A Sonos app controlling an Echo? Makes no sense whatever way you look at it, hence my "surely you can't be serious".
Userlevel 1
A Sonos app controlling an Echo?

I kind of took it to mean an app for the Echo (if such a thing is possible) that would allow it to act as a Sonos player but I may be reading far too much into it. I think your original voice control suggestion is far more likely thinking about it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Just had a look at the Echo promo video, looks pretty cool, it hasn't hit the UK yet though.

If it could talk to Sonos that would be good, maybe not play itself but control Sonos units

Eg ... Alexa "Sonos Unit Name" "Command"

It's a bit pricey though! I think i'd rather put my hand in my pocket and get my phone out
Userlevel 2
I'm pretty sure Sonos could implement something similar if they wanted to.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I kind of took it to mean an app for the Echo (if such a thing is possible) that would allow it to act as a Sonos player but I may be reading far too much into it. I think your original voice control suggestion is far more likely thinking about it.

Indeed - I want an app on the Echo to control the Sonos. Just seems like a natural fit. But also would be great to stream things from the Echo to Sonos - like Audible (if that makes sense)....
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Indeed - I want an app on the Echo to control the Sonos. Just seems like a natural fit. But also would be great to stream things from the Echo to Sonos - like Audible (if that makes sense)....

Yes! Voice controller for Sonos and play Audible enhanced format.
Userlevel 2
Any word on this....?

I want to control sonos via Amazon echo