Skip to main content

Hi,

I am using 2 sonos amps (the recent models) with a bunch of sonos architectural speakers.

The hardware is great, the sound is excellent... but. I can confirm after extensive testing that android streaming and sonos is not a very good idea.

Ok, it works…. for a while… and I can make a work again. But at home we have a mix of iphone’s and android devices. Airplay works in 100% in the cases ok, always. The problem are the android phones, after a while, of after using Airpay… it doesn’t work well any  more. 

Yes, the solution of re-authenticating spotify works, or rebooting the amps. That works, but, it remains extremely annoying. I am 100% sure this is not a network problem. It is a problem of not being 100% compatible with android. And certainly the mix of Apple & Android devices to control the amps. 

Sadly, I already extensively discussed this with Sonos support … but they always put the blame somewhere else. And if you can make it work again… there seems not to be any problem. No, not thru, the problem comes back, over and over again. No solution for the moment.

Hi,

I am using 2 sonos amps (the recent models) with a bunch of sonos architectural speakers.

The hardware is great, the sound is excellent... but. I can confirm after extensive testing that android streaming and sonos is not a very good idea.

It’s not a good idea because Sonos doesn’t stream audio through android devices.  You can play music files on an android phone to Sonos, but the streaming services stream directly from the service to the speakers.  The Sonos app is just a controller.

Ok, it works…. for a while… and I can make a work again. But at home we have a mix of iphone’s and android devices. Airplay works in 100% in the cases ok, always. The problem are the android phones, after a while, of after using Airpay… it doesn’t work well any  more. 

You’re going to have to explain how airplay is involved.  Airplay is apple’s tech to stream from an iOS device direct to WiFi speakers, including Sonos.  It has nothing to do with android phones whatsoever.

Yes, the solution of re-authenticating spotify works, or rebooting the amps. That works, but, it remains extremely annoying. I am 100% sure this is not a network problem. It is a problem of not being 100% compatible with android. And certainly the mix of Apple & Android devices to control the amps. 

When you are controlling your Amps with android phones, are you using the Sonos app or Spotify music app (casting)?    In either case, you aren’t streaming audio from the phone to the Sonos speaker, but it could be helpful in determine the issue.  

Are either of your Amps directly wired to your router?    

Sadly, I already extensively discussed this with Sonos support … but they always put the blame somewhere else. And if you can make it work again… there seems not to be any problem. No, not thru, the problem comes back, over and over again. No solution for the moment.

Hi. In our household we use a mix of Apple and Android devices without difficulty.

The one thing we don't use is Airplay. When you use Airplay you aren't using the Sonos system at all. 

The fact that you talk of "Android streaming" suggests that user error may be a significant part of the issue here.