Skip to main content

once a mini sub is bonded with a beam how does it appear as an airplay speaker.  Can I airplay just the sub with other airplay speakers or will the beam come with it?

The Beam comes with it - you just select the Beam in your Airplay list.

So the two are one airplay speaker (so sound volume controls are bonded also).  Is there a way to airplay the sub solo?  I want to use it for music without the beam. My research suggests it only works when bonded with other Sonos speakers. 

thanks. 

So the two are one airplay speaker (so sound volume controls are bonded also).  Is there a way to airplay the sub solo?  I want to use it for music without the beam. My research suggests it only works when bonded with other Sonos speakers. 

thanks. 

The Beam & Sub-Mini are bonded together and the crossover etc; set and the room is then usually Trueplay tuned and sometimes also manually tuned to a users own listening preference in the environment. They two components appear as one ‘room’ in the Sonos App.

You would have to undo all the setup/bonding to use the Sub with another speaker, or room.. so it’s easier to leave all as it. Just select the Beam room to add to your chosen group - there’s no way to disable the playing audio output from the Beam.

The simple answer is to buy another Sub-Mini instead - I have one in our kitchen/diner and one in the main bedroom. I highly recommend the Sub-Mini and the Sub (gen3) too. It’s worth noting that the Sub (gen3) is currently on offer at its lowest ever price aswell.

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/sub

No, you can not send a signal to only a Sub. It is always bonded to another speaker, and part of that ‘room’.