Mac OS X - downloaded Sonos Desktop Controller but I can't open it - Says it's not recognized

• 26 December 2013
  • 4 replies

I have an older Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 laptop. I have downloaded Sonos Desktop Controller onto it from the website but I can't open it, it keeps saying reason is "not recognized".  The Sonos apps work on my ipad and iphone but I can't get Sonos to work on my laptop.  Need Help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hello,

It sounds like your Mac is not opening the Sonos DMG file with the Disk Image Mounter. First, make sure you have the latest Sonos Desktop Controller for Mac found here:
http://www.sonos.com/redir/controller_software_mac

if you are unable to open this file on your Mac, try the steps below and let us know if this helps:
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH6767

After you have done this, try opening the Sonos Desktop Controller DMG file and dragging Sonos.app to your Applications folder.

Regards,
Gordon
I am having the same issue and after doing as suggested above, the issue is still not resolved.  Kindly assist.
Badge
Why didn't Sonos make an installer for mac os x platform, like they did for Windows (the Windows one 'could also be better' IMHO...)? That's the real issue.
Scenario: my son is using my windows computer right now, I'm on a macbook pro and I'm not all that in tune with it (other than it being unix based). All 40 applications I've installed on this thing worked seamlessly. Then I get to sonos... which gives me a .dmg. I click on it and it does nothing. Blame apple all you want and point us to their KB article, as majority of mediocre engineering organizations would do....but in the end it's a bad user experience that could have been avoided by making an installer like you did for Windows
-1 sonos
I have had that issue before on a multitude of different .dmg files. In every single case, a reboot of the computer has alleviated the issue. My guess is that the OS isn’t closing the process properly, and since it thinks the previous install is still running, it won’t start a new install. But that’s merely a supposition on my part, I’m not a software engineer.