Skip to main content

I have my music library on pro-level Netgear NAS, with everything in order. I have a 1 Gb LAN connection to server, so WiFi/WLAN connection problems are not applicable.

Every time I get a Sonos update I apply it, get a 1101 Error, apply it again, then gets the message there is nothing to update. But Sonos is updated.

However, after every update Sonos cannot access my music library anymore. Doing an “Update Music Library Now” results in an error (after a few minutes, the time varies): “//N//N is no longer available...”

However, at (exactly) the same time Sonos has no problem playing the music that happened to be in the Sonos queue (the queue isn’t emptied during an update), which of course resides on exactly the same NAS with exactly the same connection details (that Sonos already has). So “technically” there are no glitches, otherwise Sonos wouldn’t even be able to access the files it is actually playing.

The general advice is to remove and then restore the connection. However, if I do this I have to empty my library and add it back in parts, otherwise Sonos returns an error (the same one) during the update. This is a “several hours”-procedure, due to the back-and-forth copying involved. And it has to be done “manually”, since the Manage/Update Music Library Now-menu option has to pressed after every copy procedure finishes.

To be as sure as possible everything is in order I’ve checked the ALL files, their MP3 tag integrity and even cleaned out ALL extra tags from ALL music files. I’ve ran every single netweork/NAS check I can think of, but no matter what I check I get a 100% clean bill of health. I’ve even tried logging some massive copying from the same folder Sonos claims it can’t access, during the Sonos library update. There isn’t a single hitch in the network traffic. And as long as there isn’t an update, everything works perfectly fine, all the time. Once I get it running again.

This is driving me nuts, and I am slowly starting to hate Sonos for this “feature” and wish I could just opt out of all further updates. All I want is to be able to continue listening to my music, without having to several hours of copying and re-scanning the library.

And since I’m complaining, how about some actually informative error msgs, because the “NN/N is no longer available...” is total BS, not only can I access it in multiple ways, Sonos itself is actually playing music from it at the same time it generates the error…

To me it seems that this is a software error in the Sonos software, some counter or something that runs out-of-bounds, a timer that ticks too long or something else that throws the software into error mode, and then picks the “no longer available”-error simply because the procedure that generated the error was the library update. This is the only way I can explain that copying the exact same files back-and-forth in batches and scanning the library after each X Gb batch does NOT generate the error.

And the reason I get the error after every update is that the software then does the same total scan, as a follow-up of the update procedure.

Doesn’t matter, and of course I don’t have an actual clue. I couldn’t care less about WHAT it is, all I want is A FIX. So that I can listen to my music!

I have my music library on pro-level Netgear NAS, with everything in order. I have a 1 Gb LAN connection to server, so WiFi/WLAN connection problems are not applicable.

This statement can only be true if all your Sonos players are wired to the network. How do your Sonos devices connect?

Have you submitted a system diagnostic immediately following an update failure, and consulted Sonos Support?

My Sonos 5:s are LAN-connected, my One:s connects through WiFi. But this happens using the Sonos PC-app on a LAN-connected Windows 10-computer.

However, I decided to empirically test how long it takes for the app the return the “not connected”-error. Or rather check if the time-to-error was more or less consistent.

So while reading today’s news I clicked “Update Music Library Now” (and started a timer). On 6th “timed test” (after 5 consecutive errors) the Library update procedure surprisingly completed, and lo and behold I had my Music Library back.

So. Altogether around 8-9 “tries and errors” (tried several times directly after the update too), then suddenly “completion”. Nothing was booted, restarted, changed or updated (during the approx. 2 hours from noticing the pending update, updating, losing the Library and then surprisingly completing the Library update = getting the Library back).

Now everything works again (which is the main thing). But it does raise the question what the heck this problem is. Is the app update procedure able to chew through only a certain amount before tilting, but then continues from where it left the next time? Is it a timer-trigged error, where the app just managed to reach the end before “timing out”? Or is it random sunspots causing havoc?

Next time this happens I’m just going to do what now “worked”: read the news, watch a movie or start a gaming session. And click the “Update Library”-button time and time again, until it manages to finish without an error...

My Sonos 5:s are LAN-connected, my One:s connects through WiFi. But this happens using the Sonos PC-app on a LAN-connected Windows 10-computer.

For your information the Sonos app is not involved in the scanning process, other than issuing the instruction.

Look in Help/About My Sonos System for the ‘Associated Product’. This is the device doing the actual work. A wired Five is likely to be more speedy and reliable. 

You may have to close and reopen the Sonos controller to change the ‘Associated Product’. It’s the first device to respond to the discovery broadcast, which depends on network conditions.

This was great info, big thanks!

That didn’t occur to me, simply because I was “running” the update process from a PC. Will try to use this to further identify the problem, when/if it occurs the next time.

. . .

Once updated, is the Music Library info/“database” stored on every Sonos or just on the designated “associated” speaker?

In other words, do the “non-associated” Sonos speakers have to access/use the “associated” one in order to use the library (and play music)? Or do they have to “download” their own library “copy” once it is updated and “active” again (on the “associated” one)?

The data is stored on all devices, not just one. 

I am experiencing the same issue.

An additional observation, this is limited to S2 only. S1 has no such issues.

I have an open case with support.

I’m running S2. I listen to my music from my NAS usually around 12 hours most weekdays, and there’s no disconnect on my system. Either during playback, or overnight when I’m not listening. I also run an automatic library scan at 2AM daily, with no disconnects there, either.

Please keep us posted on what you hear from support. I’m interested to know what is affecting your system, but not mine.