Skip to main content

Mac user here. My desktop is an iMac running Monterey 12.2.1. My music library is on a Mac Mini running Sierra 10.12.6 which I have not yet upgraded because it works fine for what it is supposed to do.

Anyway, I recently started ripping some new CDs using the program XLD. I now have a folder on my iMac desktop full of FLAC audio files. Using the Sonos Mac app, I have added that folder to my Sonos music library which sees the folder but sees no available files inside that folder. Specifically, when I open that folder it says “No selections are available.” Sonos does see the iTunes and Music libraries on the iMac and Mini and the files within them.

So my question is, does Sonos need to be specifically pointed at a library and not just a folder of audio files?

thanks in advance for any help/advice,

dpc

Have you clicked on Update Music Library Now?

Have you clicked on Update Music Library Now?

Yes. Still no selections.

I’m assuming that it should be seeing those files? I want to make sure that Sonos will actually see just a folder full of files and does not need some sort of database file.

I’d suspect that the files in question aren’t able to be read by Sonos, as they don’t match the supported audio formats , but that’s just a guess. 

New and interesting results…

1. File formats - FLAC and AAC which are both supported by Sonos.
  2. I copied AAC versions of the same files to the folder (The_Low_Spark_of_High_Heeled_Boys). Hit update in Sonos. Still nothing there.
  3. On Monterey, iTunes has been replaced with Music. The default place for media for me is in /Users/dpcook/Music/Music/Media. After updating in #2, I noticed that there is now an iTunes folder, specifically /Users/dpcook/Music/iTunes. This gets updated or, if sent to trash, recreated whenever the Sonos Music Library is updated. This seems odd to me as iTunes is not even installed on this computer. Indeed, I did a clean Monterey install about a month ago.

Any thoughts?

I have a similar set up with Mac mini.  I had all my playlist in folders and Sonos could not read the playlist.  Once I moved the playlist from folders in Music app, the sonos speakers played imported playlist.  There is an issue with Sonos and Apple’s file system.

24 bit in S2, 16 bit in S1. Which version of Sonos are you using?

What are the settings that you’re using to rip files in XLD?

If you do a “get info” on this track you’re testing with, what are the specific attributes of it?

I have a similar set up with Mac mini.  I had all my playlist in folders and Sonos could not read the playlist.  Once I moved the playlist from folders in Music app, the sonos speakers played imported playlist.  There is an issue with Sonos and Apple’s file system.

What version of MacOS are you using?

My mini has all the music files stored in /Users/dpcook/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music. It has been working fine since I first set-up Sonos in my home. Actually, that is one reason I don’t intend on upgrading that computer…

So you are saying you had your audio files stored in /Users/user name/Music/Music/Media and they did not work there?

Specifically, it was the playlist that I had organized by folders in the music app, formerly iTunes.  Sonos would not recognize the playlist folders.

24 bit in S2, 16 bit in S1. Which version of Sonos are you using?

What are the settings that you’re using to rip files in XLD?

If you do a “get info” on this track you’re testing with, what are the specific attributes of it?

For the FLAC file(s), 2ch 44100 Hz, 16-bit

For the AAC file(s), 2ch 44100 Hz 292kbps

Sonos v2

@dpcook Have you tried going to System Preferences > Sharing and adding the folder with the FLAC files into the “Shared Folders”? 

If this doesn’t work, try toggling “File Sharing” on/off.

@dpcook Have you tried going to System Preferences > Sharing and adding the folder with the FLAC files into the “Shared Folders”?

I have done that.

I have also turned off file sharing and tried to connect to that folder. No luck with that either.

Also, to be noted… oops. I may have just fixed it before I could hit send.

I found this discussion “Local library won’t index”

Which in turn led to this support page “No tracks from Mac USB drive in Sonos music library.”

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4808?language=en_US

The short answer is that you need to give the Sonos Library Server Full Disk Access under system preferences, followed by updating the Sonos Music Library. I did that and the files, FLAC and AAC, magically appeared.