last.fm double scrobble - a fix of sorts

• 21 February 2023
  • 3 replies

I have used last.fm since 2005 and bought my first Sonos devices in 2012, and I have suffered from the double scrobble problem when using Spotify that has been discussed in question threads for many years. If I remove scrobbling from Sonos but play Spotify through Sonos, no scrobbles are registered. If I have last.fm as a service I get two scrobbles for each track I listen to.

I have a fix for this problem. Of sorts. I bought a Sonos Roam, a brilliant little speaker, that has the ability to connect to both my Sonos system via wifi and my mobile device via Bluetooth. So, I connect to the Roam with Bluetooth, control Spotify with my phone, never use the Spotify service in Sonos, and then connect the Roam to my Sonos system and at last, no more double scrobbles.

of course a dedicated in-Sonos coded solution software update would be much better, but this works, so I’m happy.

Now I just need to get the Beam I received today to talk to my Sony Bravia TV.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jasmic 

Thanks for sharing your solution!

As for the Beam, make sure you connect it to a HDMI-ARC or eARC port on the TV, and ensure the TV has Bravia Sync enabled.

I hope this helps.

Unfortunately although my TV has a HDMI ARC socket it isn’t compatible. According to some research I did the tv needed to be less than 5 years old, and while mine is a smart tv it is a good bit older than that. Luckily the Beam is really good as a speaker in its own right, so I’m keeping it until I get a new TV. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jasmic 

To be honest, I’m not sure what you mean. HDMI-ARC is HDMI-ARC. Beam (Generation 2) supports eARC, but it’s backwards-compatible with HDMI-ARC. As long as your TV has a socket labelled “HDMI-ARC”, it should be compatible with Beam.

It is possible, however, that your TV has HDMI but not HDMI-ARC.

Or, it’s possible that another HDMI connected to your TV is causing a HDMI-CEC conflict. Please test with other devices disconnected. If that then works, reconnect one device at a time and test each time. If you find that there is indeed a device causing a problem, please disable CEC function on it (they relate to the TV’s power, volume and input switching). If you can’t do this, you may need a CEC-Less Adaptor on the connecting cable (very cheap).

Finally, and if all else fails, your Beam came with an optical adaptor - remove the plastic cover, connect it to your TV, and plug the HDMI cable for the Beam into it. You may also need to activate the optical output in your TV’s settings.

I hope this helps - If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate.