Skip to main content
Question

KCDX Radio playable from TuneIn but not Sonos

• 30 December 2020
  • 1 reply

The wonderfully eclectic, commercial-free deep rock FM radio station KCDX from Arizona streams on TuneIn but Sonos fails to play it, displaying the error message, “the song is not encoded properly.”

The KCDX.com website streams in what I’ve seen described as, “that in-line chunked blob object-style format.” Here's the direct URL: http://vdn.terrafox.com/audio/kcdx/playlist.m3u8

Is there any way to get this working on Sonos? Doing a search of this forum the same question was posted some time ago with no resolution.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @Winter S.

Thanks for reaching out, we’d be glad to help.

Are you getting this error just on this specific station?

If this is only happening on one station, quite possible that the issue is with the station’s stream or there might be a change on the URL.

Did you have this saved as ‘Favorite’ in the Sonos app? 

• If you did, I suggest removing it as a favorite and do a fresh search. Test it and see if the issue will persist.
  • You may also try manually adding the radio station URL to Sonos, just make sure that TuneIn is already added on your Sonos system and the stream is of one of the compatible formats; MP3, AAC, or WMA.

Hopefully, that helps but if not, please replicate the issue then, submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app while the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number, I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how that goes.