Is there a benefit in using Sonos Radio vs. Tunein for the same station?

• 6 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Now that Sonos is offering their Sonos Radio music source I am curious if there is any benefit to listeners to switch over from Tunein for the same station?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @mrvelous01,

TuneIn’s complete catalog can be found on on Sonos Radio, along with exclusive Sonos curated stations, but there is no different between the non-exclusive radio station streams on Sonos Radio vs TuneIn. 

It’s your personal preference what to use, but I’d suggest trying out Sonos Radio for the curated stations. 

I hope this information helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have recently noticed when browsing the Tunein station list via the Sonos app, that one of my favorite stations has disappeared from the list one day, then reappears the next.  This has happened multiple times in the past week or so.  Any idea why that is happening (Michigan Radio)?

Also, if there is no difference between the station list for Sonos Radio vs. Tunein then why the redundancy?  And what is a curated station?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @mrvelous01,

I’m not sure why the station would be disappearing and re-appearing, the Sonos App only displays what information it is given from the music service. If a station was missing from the app, I can only assume that it was down on TuneIn’s side as well. If it happens again, I’d suggest reaching out to our support team to troubleshoot with them.

There are small differences, I’ve had a look and can see that Sonos Radio also makes use of the catalogues of radio.com, iheartradio and global radio, which are region dependent. It seems that TuneIn also has a premium service with exclusive stations, but you’ll want to check TuneIn for more details on that.

Sonos curated stations are original stations by Sonos, you can only find them on Sonos Radio. You can tell the curated stations apart from regular radio stations by the station art, which features Sonos on the right hand side.